Clutch fan roaring in 1st/2nd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Can clutch fans randomly start making roaring noises, similar to the loud roaring at cold startup?

The other day, I was accelerating in 1st after making a left onto the highway. I heard the engine roaring, as if it were revving up. Instinctively I let off the accelerator, thinking the trans was slipping.

Did it a second time on a side road, accelerating, seemingly in 2nd gear....... so I pulled over and checked the trans fluid. It was full, and very clean.

Air temps were definitely in the mid-90s, and trans was definitely warm (185) but not overheating. I checked the trans temp with it still running (scan tool) when I got her home.

Since then I've had a hard time replicating the scenario. It did it a little today as I drove around the block, and it only did it a little. Engine gets noticeably louder.

The fact that it sounds a LOT like a cold-start roaring clutch fan makes me wonder if the clutch is getting wore out.

We do a lot of "around town" driving in this, should I be considering a non-clutch Flex-a-lite?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can clutch fans randomly start making roaring noises, similar to the loud roaring at cold startup?

The other day, I was accelerating in 1st after making a left onto the highway. I heard the engine roaring, as if it were revving up. Instinctively I let off the accelerator, thinking the trans was slipping.

Did it a second time on a side road, accelerating, seemingly in 2nd gear....... so I pulled over and checked the trans fluid. It was full, and very clean.

Air temps were definitely in the mid-90s, and trans was definitely warm (185) but not overheating. I checked the trans temp with it still running (scan tool) when I got her home.

Since then I've had a hard time replicating the scenario. It did it a little today as I drove around the block, and it only did it a little. Engine gets noticeably louder.

The fact that it sounds a LOT like a cold-start roaring clutch fan makes me wonder if the clutch is getting wore out.

We do a lot of "around town" driving in this, should I be considering a non-clutch Flex-a-lite?

Sounds like the clutch is doing its job the way it should to me. My Express van in similar weather has a habit of engaging at 75+ mph on the highway. Going uphill with a trailer it spends alot of time engaged as well. I had the 34" wide Tahoe electric fans on it for a while and they could not keep it cool in hot weather pulling the trailer despite the 454/8.1 radiator I have in it.

With the Duramax fan it sounds like a medium duty truck when it is engaged.

Non clutch flex fan is going to be much worse for both cooling and sound.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Strange thing is, it's never done this before that I could notice. I do see what you are saying, it should be engaging as it warms up. Maybe that's what's happening, but the amount of noise I heard was more than I recall ever hearing it do driving around town.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely don't go to a flex fan or otherwise eliminate the clutch. You will regret it.

I'd be a little concerned if you've never heard it before in similar conditions. Pay attention to it and if the noise persists I'd think about putting in a new fan clutch. They're pretty cheap anyway.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
I find that very hard to believe considering I had a duramax fan fully engaged on a dyno run and only lost 15 ft/lbs of torque and 10 hp with it roaring like a medium duty truck.
that's why I was asking Kenny about it to see what he thought... I myself probably wouldn't do it either way because I rarely put over 1500 miles a year on it... only a few things mechanically that I would upgrade, but for comfort I'll upgrade...

Sent from my Commodore 64 using 300 Baud Modem.