Cluster without computer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Since I haven't started to look into this yet, and have no idea where to start, I'm assuming the gauge cluster is all controlled by the computer? I'm talking 96+ here.

If so, is there a way to make the cluster work without the computer? How are the dummy lights controlled compared to the actual gauges themselves?

~Via Mobile

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are correct on the gauges being run by the computer. When I was doing my carb swap I tried to maintain oem gauge use but decided to go with aftermarket gauges because it was so much easier

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Diamondplate with holes cut for aftermarket gauges IMO!

I would love to keep factory gauges and even make some of the dummy lights work though.

~Via Mobile

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I see DD now makes the VHX analog series for the pre-95 interior. I wonder if they have plans on making one for the newer interior? This cluster has the ability to run off of all DD sensors instead of the computer.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Diesel cluster is pretty much all discrete inputs. No PCM inputs besides things like cel.

The tach is run off the alternator and redlines at 3600 though.

If I were going your route, i'd likely "hybrid" a gas and diesel cluster to get where I wanted.

Ie: gas face, diesel guts and slip in the stepper motor for the gas tach. The diesel stepper might even work since the face sweep is the same, just the numbers are different.

Of course, you'd have to add the sensors for the cluster (oil press, ect, etc) and a drac for the speedo but I'm thinking it could be made to work.

Be lots of wiring work but nothing difficult.

Only problem is you won't know if it's really going to work until you get it all in and fired up.....

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
That's actually good to know because I was considering a diesel cluster anyways. All of the parameters will be fine for me being that it will be for an Isuzu 4BD1T.

What controls the dummy lights such as the glow plug light and what not?

~Via Mobile

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That's actually good to know because I was considering a diesel cluster anyways. All of the parameters will be fine for me being that it will be for an Isuzu 4BD1T.

What controls the dummy lights such as the glow plug light and what not?

~Via Mobile

Not sure on the glow circuit. The times are controlled in the PCM on an OEM diesel truck as it monitors temp and voltage levels. So it seems to make sense the cluster light would be driven by the PCM vice the GP relay.

With a 4BDT1 I'd just do a manual controller (IE: push switch) for the glow plugs and you can just parallel the WTS light is you wanted it to light up.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I have a relay system for the glow plugs already that worked great in my 94. I'll have to see about making the light work with it.

~Via Mobile