Cleared + Painted my needles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Ok, did you paint the front or back of the needles? On your night shot, it shows a little more color than I thought it would if you painted the backside.

Also, are the small needles all interchangeable? For example, since oil pressure goes to 0 when you shut it off, could you pull that needle, clear and paint it, then swap it with the fuel needle, so it would be easier to get exact? Still haven't decided what color I want to paint mine. Also depends on if I try to paint the gauge faces.

Looks great.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Ok, did you paint the front or back of the needles? On your night shot, it shows a little more color than I thought it would if you painted the backside.

Also, are the small needles all interchangeable? For example, since oil pressure goes to 0 when you shut it off, could you pull that needle, clear and paint it, then swap it with the fuel needle, so it would be easier to get exact? Still haven't decided what color I want to paint mine. Also depends on if I try to paint the gauge faces.

Looks great.

Good Q. Wondering the same.

Would it to be possible to;
1. Pull out the cluster.
2. Remove the clear plastic cover.
3. Put masking tape behind the needles.
4. Replace the cluster, without the clear plastic.
5. Warm up the truck
6. Mark the needles positions, while running.
7. Remove the cluster.
8. Remove the needles.
9. Paint & clear needles.
10. Re-install the cluster.
11. Warm up the vehicle.
12. Re-install the needles as to the previous positions, according to the marks on the tape. While running.
13. Remove the cluster.
14. Remove the masking tape.
15. Replace the clear plastic.
16. Re-install the cluster.

Feasible? Just wondering if anyone else thinks this would, or would not work. I would think that, other than the speedo, this may make the whole procedure a little easier & take out a lot of the re-installation guess work.

Last edited:

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Bigger tires are going to change your speedometer and odometer by a percentage. Slower you go, the closer your indicated speed and mileage is to actual. The faster you go the further off it is. So, just moving the speedo needle won't help you. You gotta get your computer recalibrated for your gears/tires.

:word:

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Good Q. Wondering the same.

Would it to be possible to;
1. Pull out the cluster.
2. Remove the clear plastic cover.
3. Put masking tape behind the needles.
4. Replace the cluster, without the clear plastic.
5. Warm up the truck
6. Mark the needles positions, while running.
7. Remove the cluster.
8. Remove the needles.
9. Paint & clear needles.
10. Re-install the cluster.
11. Warm up the vehicle.
12. Re-install the needles as to the previous positions, according to the marks on the tape. While running.
13. Remove the cluster.
14. Remove the masking tape.
15. Replace the clear plastic.
16. Re-install the cluster.

Feasible? Just wondering if anyone else thinks this would, or would not work. I would think that, other than the speedo, this may make the whole procedure a little easier & take out a lot of the re-installation guess work.

I think you would actually want all the needles where they should be when the truck is completely cooled down, because they might move or be in different places when warmed up. I think I would leave mine sitting overnight and do that first thing in the morning. The masking tape is a good idea, though, lets you trace where the needle is. I'm still curious about if you could just quick swap needles with others of the same size.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I am going to put 'Aztec' needles in my '98, so I don't see why you just couldn't swap what you have from gauge to gauge. Same principle.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
You can swap out for other needles best way I found was to do it with truck off. mark the needles but on the speedo and tach they will automatically zero out I have some aztec needles but I am one or 2 short of the small ones if somone wants Ill sell em I want some buick rendevous needles

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I have a set that I painted white but dont like how they came out. I cleared them and painted the backs only. :shrug: