Cleaning the poppets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will be changing the intake gaskets this week on the 96, "common leak at the rear drivers side" and replacing the distributor with a new alumnium unit, (cap hold down is broken and zip ties hold the cap on), im in search of the all too common P0300 "misfire" code. I dont have the $$$$ for the MPFI conversion at this time, so i was wondering if there is a way to clean the stock poppet valves? I have a scanner lined up to read the cam retard, which from research on here and FSC says should be +-2* from 0 at 1000rpm. This thing runs good, but keeps setting the SES, and my fuel milage is horrible at 11mpg, its compleatly stock. New plugs, wires, cap, button, fuel filter, CTS and 195 thermostat. What is the best way to clean the lower intake under the upper intake, and can i clean the poppet valves?

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the way to clean the injector like the dealership, you will need a tool like this:
You must be registered for see images

It screws into the test port on the fuel rail and you hook it up to an air compressor and set the pressure to 60-70 psi. It forces powerful injector cleaner directly thru the injectors so its not diluted in the gas tank.

Last edited:

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a link
You must be registered for see images
, I tried to buy it from a local store, but you can only order it online.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also if you have to, I have had good luck with seafoam, poured in the tank on several Vortec 350's.