"Check Gauges" Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperTramp

Preparing truck & camper for N. American trek
Reaction score
1998 k2500 5.7: After 3+ years of absolutely no problems with this great truck, there have been a few problems arise which could some how be related. I appreciate your insights in advance. Here are the symptoms in reverse order chronologically

1) "Check Gauges" light in upper left hand corner of the instrument cluster blinks on and off, very seldom. It blinks on and off in a way that makes you think it could be a short in the wire to the light. Also, I've noticed the oil pressure gauge reading a little low during idle.

2) The power steering began to be stiff and resistant to turning immediately after getting it back from the shop. For example, when making a 3 point turn, the "action" in the steering seems to bind up for a second and then give way and become easier. That is at least until you begin turning the steering wheel back the other way. It seems to easier to turn when the accelerator is initially applied. When driving down the road, the steering seems stiff, much more so than before the mechanical work I just had done. The mechanic replace all of the moving components (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.) in the front end (no shocks and springs) and a leaking steering gear box. When I asked mechanic about the stiffness, he said it might be due to the new steering gear box. But that doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks, Wes aka SupertrampPop

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
The steering box shaft that connects to the pitman arm that turns the wheels has an adjustment that can be made to tighten up or loosen up the lash between the gears on it and the worm drive gear that is driven by the hydraulics and you steering wheel. if this is too tight the wheel may not center up good after making a turn without a little help by you on the steering wheel. if it is too loose the steering might feel a little sloppy. if it is just right, it might feel a little tight around the point where the worm is at center travel in the box. Everyone has a preference. I like mine loose.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
The steering box shaft that connects to the pitman arm that turns the wheels has an adjustment that can be made to tighten up or loosen up the lash between the gears on it and the worm drive gear that is driven by the hydraulics and you steering wheel. if this is too tight the wheel may not center up good after making a turn without a little help by you on the steering wheel. if it is too loose the steering might feel a little sloppy. if it is just right, it might feel a little tight around the point where the worm is at center travel in the box. Everyone has a preference. I like mine loose.

Yours will eventually wear in if a little tight.

This is a good video for you.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The gauge light would come on if the oil pressure dropped. Just to make sure...are you low on oil?

Assuming that they installed it, I’d get the shop to address the steering concern. The adjustment that Delta refers to may have not been done properly during the “remanufacturing” process. Reman steering gears are getting to be like any other remanufactured part, unfortunately. I had a Delco reman that was sloppy right out of the box, and ACDelco is usually one of the more reliable brands to buy.

I ended up with a BlueTop brand that is nice, and have heard good things about Red Head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I'll third the check oil level suggestion. My check gauges flashed pulling into the driveway a couple years ago and it turns out, I was out of oil. I was young and didn't think to check it often. That was also when I discovered it was leaking oil. I should probably fix that :hmm: