Changing 88-93 GMC grille to 94-98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well that was certainly a picky post.:biggun:I wasn't totally sure when I pulled just the two so I got the outer two as well and got a discount but you're probably right. That's what majority says anyway. If he wants it 100% stock he'll need the middle rad support for the center of the grille but it's not necessary. My '93 parking lights fit flush in the '94 grille. But the early model lights screw into the grille different than the late models. You can make it work but to save so much time and effort just get the four individual little plastic brackets for the four individual screws of the parking light. They pop in. The late grilles have 4 separate ones on each light while the early grilles have 2 black pieces with two brackets on each. Does that make sense?
Eh; you can call it picky if you like, but accurate info conveyed clearly helps better IMO. No offense intended; put the guns away. :D

Now I know which brackets you're talking about, those squiggly plastic spacers behind the 88-93 park lamps. I wouldn't have thought of that because I would not use those on a 94-up grille. They might fit, but they don't fit well, and they look funny. IMO.

Richard

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Eh; you can call it picky if you like, but accurate info conveyed clearly helps better IMO. No offense intended; put the guns away. :D

Now I know which brackets you're talking about, those squiggly plastic spacers behind the 88-93 park lamps. I wouldn't have thought of that because I would not use those on a 94-up grille. They might fit, but they don't fit well, and they look funny. IMO.

Richard
Nah man I was just messing around.:gr_grin: :handshake: But yeah that's what I was saying is the brackets won't work right.

phecnar

Reaction score
I am planning the same conversion, chevy to gmc grill on my 98 Silverado Z71 ext cab. I dont believe its a direct fit, may need extra filler around headlights.
I think the gm grill looks better.
...also going to install a bull bar that I bought for a my 88 gmc jimmy and never installed, hoping it bolts right on seamlessly.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I am planning the same conversion, chevy to gmc grill on my 98 Silverado Z71 ext cab. I dont believe its a direct fit, may need extra filler around headlights.
I think the gm grill looks better.
...also going to install a bull bar that I bought for a my 88 gmc jimmy and never installed, hoping it bolts right on seamlessly.
88-91 GM fullsize Blazer/Jimmy are square body trucks. The SUVs weren't on the 400 series platform until '92 model year.

phecnar

Reaction score
I thought the 88-98 gm shared the same frame for a direct fit.
Ive been draggin that bar around for over 10 years.
Had a brain wave when clearing out my garage, guess it was a fart. lol

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I thought the 88-98 gm shared the same frame for a direct fit.
Ive been draggin that bar around for over 10 years.
Had a brain wave when clearing out my garage, guess it was a fart. lol
Pickup does, SUVs not till '92. Even then, the horn spacing is the same, but major portions of the frames themselves are different, depends on the application.
Do some measurements before you get rid of it though; might be close enough to be adaptable.