Changing 88-93 GMC grille to 94-98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elyoung88

Reaction score
Who all has done this and what did you have to salvage from the donor truck? I looked for an aftermarket swap grille, but it appears there aren't any. Just looking for some advice before I head to the junk yard. Thanks

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
-94-98 grille/bowtie
-all four 94-98 bumper brackets
-the three filament pieces under the grille
-94-98 rad support
-new brackets for the parking lights
-a couple hours of labor
Just the 2 inner brackets. Outers are the same 88-98.
All three -filler- pieces. :D
Don't need to change radiator support. Very early ones are missing a couple of the small holes for the center filler, no huge issue.
New brackets?? for park lights? Huh? You need 94-up park lights.

There's seriously so many threads on this... A little bit of searching will take you a long way. This took me three minutes.
Yes, totally this. But amazing how often the information still gets presented not 100% correct. ;)

Richard

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Just to add to what Richard said, make sure you not only get the t/s assemblies, but also the 4 corner lights / reflectors for the 94 up grill, and the Chevy and GMC ones are different (found this out the hard way)

frito-bandito

Reaction score
OP please forgive me for jacking this thread

@someotherguy , not to sound stalkerish :rofl: but I remember years ago when I was living in Houston and searching on CL for parts for my 94, I came across one of your posts on there. You included a link to all of your current and recent projects at the time. I followed your 3500HD wrecker build daily from the day you got it, to swapping out the wrecker off of your 98 crew cab, until you were almost done with it. In short, I am glad you are on this forum and the build threads you posted have been the reason I have started my own build threads on everything I've owned since!

Ok, stalker mode and thread jack over! :rofl:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OP please forgive me for jacking this thread

@someotherguy , not to sound stalkerish :rofl: but I remember years ago when I was living in Houston and searching on CL for parts for my 94, I came across one of your posts on there. You included a link to all of your current and recent projects at the time. I followed your 3500HD wrecker build daily from the day you got it, to swapping out the wrecker off of your 98 crew cab, until you were almost done with it. In short, I am glad you are on this forum and the build threads you posted have been the reason I have started my own build threads on everything I've owned since!

Ok, stalker mode and thread jack over! :rofl:
That wrecker build was a job and a half. Even being in the parts biz I felt like I overpaid for that HD shell ($300) though I knew full well the few good parts remaining on it were worth more than that, but even more, I wanted to build it. It felt good making a usable piece of equipment out of all the junk my customers didn't want. The engine wasn't perfect (hey; it had 138K hard miles on it), this fender's got a ding, that dash has a crack, etc. It came together great, IMO. But it was a solid year of "spare time" work, which I didn't have a lotta spare time!

Richard

frito-bandito

Reaction score
That wrecker build was a job and a half. Even being in the parts biz I felt like I overpaid for that HD shell ($300) though I knew full well the few good parts remaining on it were worth more than that, but even more, I wanted to build it. It felt good making a usable piece of equipment out of all the junk my customers didn't want. The engine wasn't perfect (hey; it had 138K hard miles on it), this fender's got a ding, that dash has a crack, etc. It came together great, IMO. But it was a solid year of "spare time" work, which I didn't have a lotta spare time!

Richard

Regardless, I still think that thing is cool as heck! You see very few people who will re-do a 3500HD

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just the 2 inner brackets. Outers are the same 88-98.
All three -filler- pieces. :D
Don't need to change radiator support. Very early ones are missing a couple of the small holes for the center filler, no huge issue.
New brackets?? for park lights? Huh? You need 94-up park lights.

Well that was certainly a picky post.:biggun:I wasn't totally sure when I pulled just the two so I got the outer two as well and got a discount but you're probably right. That's what majority says anyway. If he wants it 100% stock he'll need the middle rad support for the center of the grille but it's not necessary. My '93 parking lights fit flush in the '94 grille. But the early model lights screw into the grille different than the late models. You can make it work but to save so much time and effort just get the four individual little plastic brackets for the four individual screws of the parking light. They pop in. The late grilles have 4 separate ones on each light while the early grilles have 2 black pieces with two brackets on each. Does that make sense?