changed thermostat, still no heat - 1998 z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

user5116

Reaction score
hi everyone, i'm having a trouble getting any heat out of my 1998 silverado.

i had thought that the temperature gauge was showing that the engine was running a little cold (however it is in the low 10's and 20's for us in missouri right now) and had hoped that the new thermostat would bring the heat back online, but i still gots no heat.

where to go from here?

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let the truck get to operating temp then feel the heater hoses as close to the firewall as you can. If you can hold your hand on them they are not flowing water and the heater core needs a flush or replacement. If the hoses are both hot the core is clear and you may have debris blocking air from going through the core or a blend door issue not directing air through the core.

user5116

Reaction score
okay guys, thanks for the advice. today i flushed the core and can feel heat from both the inlet and the outlet hoses, but still have no heat in the cab.

what is the likelihood that the temperature control dials below the radio have gone bad? just shortly before i noticed the heat was out I had been messing with the radio and *thought* just for a moment that i may have smelled fire. it was gone as quick as i noticed it and i shrugged it off until this moment.. any way to test the unit to be sure?

additional side note, ive owned the truck for about a year, and for the whole time, the temperature control dials only respond on the dial that controls fan speed (off/low/medium/high). i get no action from the dial that controls the defrost/dash/floor. everything seems to come out of the front dash with maybe just the slightest movement for the windshield defrost. also, the led lights behind the "recirculate" and "a/c" buttons don't respond to being pressed, but do faintly light up when the park lights are on. not sure if this is normal behavior or not.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
okay guys, thanks for the advice. today i flushed the core and can feel heat from both the inlet and the outlet hoses, but still have no heat in the cab.

what is the likelihood that the temperature control dials below the radio have gone bad? just shortly before i noticed the heat was out I had been messing with the radio and *thought* just for a moment that i may have smelled fire. it was gone as quick as i noticed it and i shrugged it off until this moment.. any way to test the unit to be sure?

additional side note, ive owned the truck for about a year, and for the whole time, the temperature control dials only respond on the dial that controls fan speed (off/low/medium/high). i get no action from the dial that controls the defrost/dash/floor. everything seems to come out of the front dash with maybe just the slightest movement for the windshield defrost. also, the led lights behind the "recirculate" and "a/c" buttons don't respond to being pressed, but do faintly light up when the park lights are on. not sure if this is normal behavior or not.
They can and do go out. Like Bob L said, if there is heat on both heater core hoses, then it is working. If the control unit, is bad, then there will be no heat. If it was me, I would take a trip to the salvage yard, and get one, then try it. Get the warranty while you are there. All yards should give you 30 days or so, but will just do a swap if it doesn't work.

user5116

Reaction score
okay , so i got the temperature control box out for a quick inspection and found a short in the control board, hoping this is the culprit because i just bought the replacement from amazon.

pic attached

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If that was the only one you could have fixed it.... quick and easy solder job.... just put a jumper over the bad section....

sent from what use to be a great country...