Cassette Tape Holder Gauge Pod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FuzzyMuzzy

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here, I have an idea I am going to pursue and figured maybe some of you folks would be interested as well with something I can bring to the table.

I am going to take my cassette tape holder (Picture 1) and duplicate it in my design program and modfiy it to hold standard size gauges. I myself plan to put my trans temp gauge and something else in there. And then have them 3D printed out of an ABS like plastic. There is a large space for routing wires where the factory radio used to be. (See picture 2)

I havent seen any production pods like this and think it would make a clean install in an otherwise unused space.

My question to the group is this:
If I were to successfully get this to work, would anyone be interested in buying one? Its really easy to have my guy print 1 or 100.

I'm thinking i will try a couple with standard diameter holes for mounting gauges, and also maybe some flat blank ones for the purpose of custom modifying for gauges or switches or whatever people may want.

I have no idea how much cost would be yet but I will let you know when I do.

Any thoughts, comments, relative ideas? Thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Please don't let me discourage you from a cool project, but it's not that hard to modify the readily available ones. Many people have done it. I chose the "smooth" style pocket with the lip on it, costs about $16, because you can still put a small remote or other items in there and it won't slide out like the tape holder with no lip at the bottom.

I'm sure there are people out there that would buy one ready-to-go if the price was right, though. Not everybody wants to hassle with chopping one of these up and taking time to get the holes placed correctly.

Richard

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Im in the process right now to make one into a rear view camera monitor. I cut it up, opened up the monitor and glassing it all into one piece.

FuzzyMuzzy

Reaction score
I thought about installing gauges flush on the bottom of the existing one as well as though about putting the arming switch for my transbrake in thre as well, I found that my viewing angle from a normal driving position obscured the left gauge and was too awkward to try to flip a switch in there. My idea is to mount them close to flush with the trim ring plane so that they are easily visible and switches would be readily accessable.

But I understand your, and many others, approach of, modify whats there. Im going with a what would be ideal in my mind approach.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can see the left gauge just fine, but I also have a smaller-than-stock steering wheel.

Richard