Carbureted guys, get in here! (Need some advice).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I've decided to go with a carb swap, boys. Can someone help me with a list of parts? So far I've thought of:
-Edelbrock 600cfm four-barrel (I think that should be plenty for my motor)
-fuel pressure regulator since I'm running a TPI pump
-fuel lines
-HEI distributor
-700r4 linkage for the carb

And I need to know now, will all my gauges still work if I keep the computer intact and just pull the SES bulb? (I know I have to wire the tach to the coil, right?), and what other wiring would I have to do?

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I think the gauges will still work even without the computer. 600 should be fine, maybe 650 :shrug: room for adjustment...
A firewall mounted fpr with a return line should work well.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Since you didnt see this in the chat thread, Happy Bday man and from what im seeing of your plans it should work out well. Talk to Jake since his stepside is carb converted.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use a QuadraJet. You could saw a Q-jet in half and still have twice the quality carburetor of a brand new Edelbrock. I personally wouldn't give up fuel injection, but I have a Q-jet on my K5, built one for a friends F150 truggy, another guys 350 swapped Land Cruiser, and helped Dad build one for a 68 Chevy C10. There is no other carburetor for a street vehicle.

Last edited:

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I've heard great things about Edelbrocks. Dads been using em since he was my age. And I hate EFI. Mine has never run right for some reason, even in 100% stock form.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A QuadraJet's small primaries provide more accurate fuel metering at lower throttle levels such as highway use. The higher velocities through the smaller primary venturies also equate to much sharper throttle response throughout the rpm band.

A QuadraJet only has one float and needle/seat arrangement, meaning fewer wear pieces and failure points. The large single fuel bowl also means you get a more uniform fuel column over the jets, reducing the chance of having 1/2 your engine leaner than the other. Once you open those massive secondary air valves, you could have up to 750cfm capability depending on engine requirements and carburetor top plate design.

There are two different non-computer controlled QuadraJets out there, the pre-1975 (numbers starting with 70) and 1975+ (numbers stating with 170). I prefer the 170 series carburetors myself because they are generally easier to find and you always get the dual booster primaries.

Also, should you need a quick rebuild on a trip, most parts stores keep a QuadraJet kit on the shelves where you may have to wait for a Carter/Edelbrock kit to be ordered.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
I'm a Holley (Quick Fuel) guy but if I were to ever make a change, QJ is the only other option for me besides a Fast or Holley stand-alone FI kit.... I'm not saying you couldn't make the Edelbrock work but a Holley based carb or QJ would be a much better option. GL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2