Carb SBC vs TBI SBC vs Gen 3 LS reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The "upgrade" Felpro garbage lasted less time than the OE gaskets for me. I have used the paper ones on too many to count now.

I'm surprised you had problems with Fel-Pro. I've replaced intake gaskets on my 2007 Ford Taurus and I used Fel-Pro gaskets with no issues at all. I've also used Fel-Pro for everything gasket related and have never had any issues so far.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what Improvement in MPG do you see with the lean cruise?
IDK, I don't take a lot of trips in this truck so, I don't have anything to compare with. Most of the time I'm going to Lowe's or similar places at least 18 miles away. If I take I-10 I'm driving ~80 MPH (in HLC too), If I take the back roads it's more like ~64. Others have stated 5-10% improvement. I added HLC because I can ;) JK!

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Based on what you guys have experienced, what is more common- Distributor/cap/rotor failures on TBI small blocks, or coil pack failures on LS?

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would focus on the overall condition of the truck instead of if TBI vs vortec motor if hp is not a goal. I have 98 ls1 in my TA that was installed around 2010. The only thing I actually had to do with it is replace oil pan gasket because it started seeping about 5 years ago. 4l60e on other hand had internal seal failure early on and was replaced with t56(220k miles or so on that t56). Both tbi and vortec trucks I always kept spare caps and ignition module for back up in the truck.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Based on what you guys have experienced, what is more common- Distributor/cap/rotor failures on TBI small blocks, or coil pack failures on LS?
I see people talking about ignition module failures and distributor caps all the time. I've NEVER heard of someone having a coil failure. I'm sure it happens. There was the one guy on this thread that said his shop stocks them because they do fail, but it is super common for people to just get them off junkyard motors all the time. I've never heard of a bad one TBH. I have several sets I got for $20 from someone that had them as extra spare parts. If I have a coil failure it takes three seconds to diagnose and maybe 2 minutes to replace and I'm back to 100%.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive been messing with the LS engines since 2002 and have built hundreds of them and have built almost 55 turbo charged trucks with 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, and 6.2s. Never had a coil pack failure.
But anything is possible and even if one coil pack fails you have 7 more to get you to the parts store.

weaponoffreedom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. As some of you may already know, I’ve had (and am still having) horrible luck with my 5.7 vortec. While i still plan on fixing it, I am tired of the spider injection and all the crappy plastic parts, and I never want to own one of these vortec SBC’s again. I am looking at other potential engine options to either swap into my current truck or buy a different truck with such an engine in it.

So between the carbed SBC, TBI SBC, and Gen 3 LS, what is the most reliable? What are the common issues with each one? We don’t have to go into the power and mpg part of it, I am just curious about sheer reliability. Thanks! And we all know TBI sounds the best :)
I would fix what you have. But if I had to choose, I would to with TBI. Best of both worlds. I know several people with 400k on SBC 5.7 and still get better gas mileage than a new 6.0.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys I think I have made a decision based on what i have researched and found out from this thread, here’s my thoughts on each one:

Carb: they are cool because of how old school and mechanically simple they are, but for a daily driver I’d prefer efi

TBI: very appealing because of its minimal electronics, beautiful sound, and no extremely common things that fail. However I think for a daily driver id want something more efficient and powerful, and with OBD2 to make diagnosing easier

Vortec: not great from the factory, but once you update intake gaskets, injection, and aluminum distributor they are very reliable. I still plan on fixing mine and getting the most miles from it that I can. However once it starts having serious and expensive problems, well, that’s where the LS comes in…

Gen 3 LS (winner): out of all my options, it has the best mpg (I would get a 4.8 for the mpg, don’t make fun of me) most power in stock form, and is the most reliable (maybe tied with TBI). The engineering behind the engine’s design is just more advanced than the SBC. It is also the easiest to work on/take apart. Look at a head gasket replacement video for an L31, and then watch a video for how to do the same thing on an LS. Plus, parts are probably easier to find for LS than older small blocks.

I am not sh*tting on the SBC in any way, it’s a great engine but personally I’d rather have an LS. Thank y’all for your input!