Can't select 1st gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98Bacon

Reaction score
I just installed a new GM L31 crate and had a 4l60e built to go behind it. Everything went smoothly and the truck runs great, the Chevy Performance Ramjet 350/H383 cam that I installed is a nice upgrade to the stock L31. I am however having a small problem with the 4l60e, I cannot select 1st gear with the column shifter. It shifts automatically through all gears fine but cannot manually select 1st. Any thoughts.... Could this be a cable adjustment issue??

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Pop the shift cable off the shaft on the trans and manually select 1st, then drop the shifter all the way to 1st and see if they are off. I'm guessing it's just an adjustment.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM deliberately put a stop on the shifter on my 99 Tahoe to keep it out of 1st. I pulled the shifter out of it and compared it to the one I pulled off my Express van to put the Astro van tow/haul button equipped shifter on it. A slight grind with my dremel and the Tahoe had 1st.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well that's gay. If it's not what Fast has seen, there is a clip you pull to adjust the cable down there. I had to do it with the 80 swap, was pretty painless.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The post that the shift cable attaches to, does it point to the transmission or to the frame? Pointing to the transmission is correct. If towards the frame it will be off.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
The post that the shift cable attaches to, does it point to the transmission or to the frame? Pointing to the transmission is correct. If towards the frame it will be off.

Good call on that one! It’s possible they flipped the linkage arm when the swap was done. I think the camaros had them on the outside, but the trucks with the NSS had the cable on the inside.