Can this be built cheaper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
with 64 cc and 9.1 compression it seems like is a bone stock low compression piston engine too. so yea you could definitely do alot better rebuilding your old engine for that matter if need be and alls useable, and if its just a driver and not beat on its never super wise but you could possibly skip some machining if decent.

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know alot about all this stuff so with a tune that's a good motor or?? I've got a stick shift so no stall needed here

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i personally think youd be better off rebuilding a stock tbi. without any major info on what heads those are those will kill that cam and suffocate it with a tbi head. id say rebuild yours if its in ok shape. or go all out and get it machined new crank or stroker crank, then you can bump up your compression maybe use your stock rods if they are true. vortec heads can be found cheap just check for cracks, otherwise search craigslist for some 113 heads, dart torquers or something aftermarket thats not too big. if you bump compression and want to keep tbi you may want to opt for a head with a bigger CC instead of 64cc like that one.

that cams large i had one that size, didnt like it, not street friendly with the tbi even with a tune, i then opted for a 421, 444 cam and lifter kit from summit. tuned nicely and works great on the street.

if you have roller stuff in your block already you could even use an lt1 cam and some roller tip 1.5's or 1.6's it really all depends how much you want to spend, how much you want to replace, what the use of the truck is, etc etc. you cant just throw parts together and hope it works theres a bit of planning involved. if you dont know how to build an engine you could learn, if you dont want to learn then id say just get a reman unit and dont complain.

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just want a little more over stock the truck is used like s truck should it sees 4x4 use regular and pulls stuff alot I just asked opponions can someone link a good replacement engine that fits that bill!? Just a hair over stock but not crazy enough to not be be able to DD

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you get what you pay for and the engine is not the place to skimp. first you need to figure out what you want it to do. is it just a wanna be hot rod or are tou going to tow anything and actually use it like a truck? if you intend to actually use it like a truck you have no use for a cam that needs a higher stall convertor, but that's a non-issue with your stick anyway. as far as tunes go, being a 95 with obd1, you are limited as to what your going to be able to get out of it and tune for.