Can someone identify this antenna?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

same_me

Reaction score
This antenna is in the center of the roof of my truck. I figure the truck at one time was a county or city municipal truck and therefore there was an antenna on it. Can anyone identify it? I would like to buy a mast that fit it if there's any possibility I could use it for a CB. Any help would be appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's going to be a Motorola type of radio antenna. Will not work for a cb that I'm aware of.

sent from what use to be a great country...

1BAD454BURB

Reaction score
I have one on my truck the wire looks like cb coax haven't hooked it up

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

same_me

Reaction score
Can you get me a picture of the mast. I'm gonna be super excited if there's a chance I can use this for a cb.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
If you can even get it to work, you're range and clarity will suffer. You need an antenna with 1/4 wavelength. The 102" whip is the ideal antenna but anything shorter with a loaded base or tighter windings (like a firestik) would work as well. I just don't see this working for your cb

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just ran across this thread, so I don't know if you decided what to do with that NMO antenna mount, amazon link to a mount they sell. https://www.amazon.com/3-4-inch-NMO-Mount-901102/dp/B0006VSHDK

As magimerlin said, it is very doubtful it will work for CB. You will find that style of mount in some municipal antenna installations and Ham radio antenna installs. There are a couple of reasons any antenna is mounted on the center of the roof, it will make the transmit and receive less directional, like a ground plane type of home antenna, it can 'see' in all directions equally, and the other reason is when there is direct contact between the ground part of the coax cable and the vehicle, it tends to work better than a magnet mount antenna. You can usually get a better SWR match of the antenna when it is attached directly to the vehicle.

As far as the coax you show in the picture, that is used in a lot of different types of antennas, not just CB, RG-58U. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/rg58u-coax is an example...

Goose 3406

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't use that for a CB because, like others have said, performance would suffer. I myself am using a Wilson Lil wil magnet mount antenna, hoping to get a firestik though