Can someone help me out here? I have a LOT of steering play.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the major culprits for steering play id say i got 5+ inches of steering play. I was thinking its the steering shaft, but those are quite hard to find new, and they cost like $300+ in LMC.

Ill post up a video driving in awhile.

I do know my balljoints are bad, and also one of my tierods, but i dont think this would cause that much play would it?

UPDATE: added video:
http://youtu.be/hoh4pALOap0

Last edited:

DieselPower

Reaction score
I do know my balljoints are bad, and also one of my tierods, but i dont think this would cause that much play would it?
It's all cumulative. I'd start by fixing the front end, replace the bad stuff and see how much that tightens things up. How many miles are on the truck? The steering box won't last forever, at some point that will need some attention too. I'd park that thing until the repairs are complete - it might get expensive if things break while you are driving down the freeway - or in traffic. It really would suck to slide to a stop on your oil pan.

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya, if its 4x4 you have to look at the pitman and idler arms. It might just be time for a full front end rebuild. These trucks aren't exactly new anymore.

MazingerZ

Reaction score
I would start with Pitman Arm and Tie rod ends

The splines on the pitman arm do a lot work

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
looks like mine. my ball joints are new and idler arm too. tie rods checked good when i did the other work. i think its a problem in the columns. i can go under the hood and move my shaft. its bad and my teacher at tech class said its a common thing with them and his 02 tahoe has this problem too. i thought it may be rag joint so i got another but idk if ill replace it

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine use to be like that, i replaced the inner and out tie rod ends, and pit man arm and that shrunk it down to about 1.5 inches of play, still need to do the idler arm, but i think most of my play is in my gear box, after all it does have 252k miles on it, but I'll live with that until it leaks like crazy.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How hard is it to swap out the PS Gearbox on these trucks? I'm thinking mine may have a similar problem.

I was also told that my idler arm is "loose." Does that mean bolts need tightened, or the arm needs replaced...?