Play in Rebuilt Steering Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RPMerf

Reaction score
97 Suburban K1500
Redid the front suspension last winter. I replaced the steering box with a Lares rebuilt box in about June. It has a bunch of play. I could turn the steering wheel about 10* either way before the truck would turn. I could watch it at the box under the hood. The input shaft of the box would turn a good bit before the pitman arm would move. This negates that it is an issue with the rag joint, as I can see it at the pinch bolt. Got a replacement, installed it. Same thing. Not as bad, but still the input shaft can turn a bit before the pitman arm moves. The current box has like 5 miles on it. I can't adjust these reman boxes, as it instantly voids the warranty.

Not sure if it is related, but the assist feels less than it did with the original 210k mile box. I flushed it using Prestone power steering fluid. Is there a fluid that works better? I know the Honda's get real specific on using Honda PS Fluid. Should I be changing out the power steering pump? Could that be causing issues? I would think the box should be tight even if the pump isn't 100%.

I'm going to return this second box. Any suggestions on where to go from here? I still have the original box. The steering shaft play is fine, but there is a bit of play in the pitman arm shaft. Should I try to adjust that out? Should I look to another brand for a rebuilt box? I'm certainly not getting another Lares box for this truck after getting 2 with excessive play.

Thank you

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's TWO adjustments for play.

Why not adjust your original box? Slap in a Pitman arm seal, re-install. Was there something more than looseness that caused you to remove the thing?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's TWO adjustments for play.

Why not adjust your original box? Slap in a Pitman arm seal, re-install. Was there something more than looseness that caused you to remove the thing?

I'd argue there's one seeing how the 2nd is preload. That contributes more to feel than play.

RPMerf

Reaction score
I think adjusting the original box is my next step. I went with a rebuilt box because everything else in the front end is new, and I thought a rebuilt would be better and last longer than just readjusting my box.

Putting my old box back in will let me know if it is a box issue or a fluid / pump issue with the reduced assist I am feeling with the rebuilt boxes.

Thanks for your input

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
PDFs of the factory manuals are here:

I don’t see one for 97, but the 98 gearbox is the same. Volume 2 for 1998 has the rebuild/adjustment procedure in it.