Can’t find a 454SS, so I’m building my own!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
L21 has forged pistons and crank too....

Good call, spaced that one

Really interesting to learn about this, but I'd probably take the proven L29 over what seems like a big mess of trying this and seeing if that works lol

It won’t really be that difficult to get running, super simple really! Either a Chevy Performance 58x/4x BBC kit, or an EFIConnection 58x/4x BBC kit, major difference being double roller timing in the GM kit, or single roller timing in the EFIConnection kit. The valve covers will allow a set of LS coils to be mounted. Probably going to move to LS3 or a similar injector. At that point, it’s essentially a 454 wrapped in a Gen IV LS control package. Add a Holley Terminator X with either a Universal or similar LS harness for damn near plug and play, as well as transmission control AND boost control. It’ll about build itself!

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
It won’t really be that difficult to get running, super simple really! Either a Chevy Performance 58x/4x BBC kit, or an EFIConnection 58x/4x BBC kit, major difference being double roller timing in the GM kit, or single roller timing in the EFIConnection kit. The valve covers will allow a set of LS coils to be mounted. Probably going to move to LS3 or a similar injector. At that point, it’s essentially a 454 wrapped in a Gen IV LS control package. Add a Holley Terminator X with either a Universal or similar LS harness for damn near plug and play, as well as transmission control AND boost control. It’ll about build itself!
Huh, Seems easy... maybe too easy :roflsquared:

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right? :Big Laugh: Gotta hand it to Holley though, you can build the most bastardized engine setup you can think of, and their EFI setup will run it! I’d even bet money that I can use an off the shelf harness on this build.

My ‘78 K20 has a 5.3L with a Terminator X, and taking note of that harness, it wouldn’t take much if anything to really be a true plug and play. A few sensor adapter plugs or extensions depending on the harness started with, at most. Come to think of it, a Gen IV LS would have the cam sensor on the front anyway. Crank sensor would need an extension to the front. I believe the MAP, TPS, IAC would reach just fine. Same with the coils and injectors, same general mounting areas. Coils and injectors will likely be LS parts anyway. Damn, I’m nearly done already! :rotflmao:

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since it's not original it's a clone and doing what you want with a clone is always less disturbing to the purist. I am about function as much or more than form. The 4l80e is a great call and having nicer bucket style seats would be good too. Sub'd

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best of luck to ya, thats a lot of work and time and money, but in the end youll be proud. Ive had mine now about 3 years and it was pretty nice when I got it, but yet the money is still going in, most of it was on a 502HO swap cause the 454 was gutless and had the TBI on it, never could get it to run right. Just swaped out the "moonie " gauges for Dakota Digital VHX series, so if you want the OEM 110mph setup I have it available.
Best of luck, heres mine and as you can see Im not a purist, its been modded quite a bit
Bobby

Attachments

• IMG_4802 (2).JPG
    IMG_4802 (2).JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4287.JPG
    IMG_4287.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4535.JPG
    IMG_4535.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4127 (3).JPG
    IMG_4127 (3).JPG
    310.7 KB · Views: 29

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Since it's not original it's a clone and doing what you want with a clone is always less disturbing to the purist. I am about function as much or more than form. The 4l80e is a great call and having nicer bucket style seats would be good too. Sub'd
Hold on a sec. Sorry if this was already posted and I've just missed it, but didn't the 454 SS get a 4l80(e) from the factory?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Good call, spaced that one

If you're keeping the 4L80, just stay with the 24X stuff and do a 411 swap or aftermarket GenIII controller. To me, the appeal of GenIV is the 6L80/90 and the variable cam timing.

Hold on a sec. Sorry if this was already posted and I've just missed it, but didn't the 454 SS get a 4l80(e) from the factory?

Not until the 4L80 came out in 92. Prior it was a TH400.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best of luck to ya, thats a lot of work and time and money, but in the end youll be proud. Ive had mine now about 3 years and it was pretty nice when I got it, but yet the money is still going in, most of it was on a 502HO swap cause the 454 was gutless and had the TBI on it, never could get it to run right. Just swaped out the "moonie " gauges for Dakota Digital VHX series, so if you want the OEM 110mph setup I have it available.
Best of luck, heres mine and as you can see Im not a purist, its been modded quite a bit
Bobby

Thanks for the offer on the gauges! I’ll be sticking with the newer interior, but I’d definitely take you up on that if I wasn’t. I like your gray interior though, that’s very clean and well done!

The very last ones were, but they’re fairly rare. The vast majority of the 454ss’ out there are early models. I really do wish GM would’ve have kept making these throughout the body style run.

If you're keeping the 4L80, just stay with the 24X stuff and do a 411 swap or aftermarket GenIII controller. To me, the appeal of GenIV is the 6L80/90 and the variable cam timing.

Not until the 4L80 came out in 92. Prior it was a TH400.

I’d consider it if I was upgrading a real 454SS, but I’m not actually going to be using a factory ECM on this one. The higher resolution of 58x/4x will be much more beneficial in controlling the timing with boost involved, as well as moving the cam timing pickup to the front of the cam and eliminating any variable of core twist within the cam and any inconsistencies from picking up low-res 1x signal from a rear mount factory distributor. A Terminator X will package everything together (engine, trans, and boost control) and provide a level of tunability a stock ECU can’t. They’re awesome units.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 4L80e is great with the addition of an overdrive gear for those that want to drive theirs often. If it was mostly a track rig, I wouldn’t worry about having the TH400.