Camber after NBS 8lug and 9.25 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, derr, I didn't catch that. Look at the bolt through the top of the rear factory upper too. Looks like someone adapted a 3/4 ton kit to fit a half ton. I'm curious about the diff drop now. The truck came with a 8.25" front diff? Did you remove an adapter for that and the 9.25 bolted right in? The things that could be causing your camber issue IMO would be too short lower control arms, too far outboard lower bj, too long upper control arms, too far inboard upper balljoints, or a way different kingpin inclination angle in the knuckle itself. Are the upper control arm drop brackets slotted for camber adjustment with an eccentric bolt?

orbit

Reaction score
But why is the drop mount wider? When I measured the ones on the truck, the measured the same as 3/4 ton...

You would have to contact Rancho and find out. I haven't seen a lift change the width of control arms before. Maybe there's why they don't sell it anymore.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I called them n they didn’t have ****. Only way I know (at least I think I know) it’s a rancho is by googling images of lifts. Thought it was trail master, but it wasn’t that.....I haven’t done anything to mine yet, still need to hit yard n see what’s there. Just wanna get it going...

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
My dad and I did this swap to my 98 in 2017, but we used a GMT400 parts truck instead of a NBS. To those who say it isn't possible are wrong, but to me it isn't worth the headache. Your biggest mistake was using the half-ton upper control arms. You need to modify the upper control arm mounts and use the 3/4 ton upper control arms, then you shouldn't have any camber.

But, maybe you could go to the alignment shop and see if they can mess with the camber.

And like @Hipster said, it is a clusterf*ck when swapping to 3/4 ton IFS. If there would've been a parts ECSB 3/4 ton in my area, I would've just swapped my 98's body onto that frame, or bought a whole different truck.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My dad and I did this swap to my 98 in 2017, but we used a GMT400 parts truck instead of a NBS. To those who say it isn't possible are wrong, but to me it isn't worth the headache. Your biggest mistake was using the half-ton upper control arms. You need to modify the upper control arm mounts and use the 3/4 ton upper control arms, then you shouldn't have any camber.

But, maybe you could go to the alignment shop and see if they can mess with the camber.

And like @Hipster said, it is a clusterf*ck when swapping to 3/4 ton IFS. If there would've been a parts ECSB 3/4 ton in my area, I would've just swapped my 98's body onto that frame, or bought a whole different truck.

Take a closer look, those arms are wider than 1500 arms like a 2500 but bolt into 1500 upper mounts.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Take a closer look, those arms are wider than 1500 arms like a 2500 but bolt into 1500 upper mounts.
Yep, now I see it. I thought they looked like a half-ton UCA, picture is kinda dark. So the NBS 3/4 ton UCA's must bolt right into the half-ton mounts?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, now I see it. I thought they looked like a half-ton UCA, picture is kinda dark. So the NBS 3/4 ton UCA's must bolt right into the half-ton mounts?

No, look at how wide those arms are. They're much wider than a 1500 arm.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

What the fun in spending 14 hours or less swapping a frame when you can spend days on end doing it this way. LOL

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What picture are you looking at? What I see looks like a very dark picture with the ball joint end of a light duty GMT400 control arm.

Now that I'm looking at it on the computer, the UCA looks to be aftermarket, same brand as the lift kit I suspect. I boxed in red the difference in width between 1500 and the wider arm fitted to the truck, as well as circled in yellow the hardware holding the UCA drop bracket to the stock UCA mounts.

You must be registered for see images attach

I see the same bits of red sticking to the arms as I do the UCA drop brackets.