Cam to large for tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93stepsidez71

Reaction score
i put a lunati cam in my 93 350 k1500
It runs but it runs rich as hell and the idle is all over the place and it dies sometimes. I know the cam is to big but does anybody know what chip I might need for just a cam upgrade

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tbichips.com. Give Brian the specs of the cam or the cam part number, and he can burn a chip for you.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Better yet, get the EBL system. Makes it easy to tune your own and it learns to a certain extent. I've got a 90 5.7 with Vortec heads, a full roller LT1 cam, headers, and a 4V manifold with TBI adapter that idles fine, pulls hard and has gotten as high as 24 mpg on a long trip.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As stated above give tbichips a call he'll tell you if you do or not. Tbi needs vacuum to run, what's your vacuum at? If you have to much duration you'll have low vacuum. For tbis you need a can with more a low duration and more lift.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
there isnt a single cam lunati makes that you can toss in and it will run right without tuning, no tb ichips trash actually datalogging. researching it on gearheadefi. lift doesnt matter as much as durationa dn lobe seperation

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
It all matters.

I asked for the cam specs in order to offer a feasible and reasonable solution. If he has a small, "RV"-like cam, which Lunati does sell, I'd give way different advice than if he has a "292"-like cam.

Yes, EBL may be the best answer either way, but we don't know what we're working with here. We can't even be sure this Lunati cam is the cause of all his troubles; the troubles the OP thinks will be cured with a chip. By the way, where is the OP?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
idk without any specs we cant say anything but the minorly approapriate answer is for any engine to run properly with aftermarket parts tuning is required.