Cam Swap Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
I'm running Comp Pro Magnum 1.6:1 roller rockers with the Marine cam and stock springs. Same springs that the ramjet engine came with, but I did install new valve seals and put them on all the way down for adequate seal to retainer clearance. IMO no use in going to a roller rockers if you're not going to increase lift. On the LT4, GM found the stock rockers didn't gall until north of the LT1 redline which is well north of where a Vortec runs.
Well I am increasing lift a little. Using the ht383 cam (rv cam), which I believe is also the marine cam. With 1.6 rockers too. So you're saying you think the rollers aren't worth it with my setup? Or that rollers aren't worth it on a stock setup? The rollers just look so fancy, lol.

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The amount of power gained by rollers alone is negligible. You will see a very small increase in lift with a 1.5:1 roller rockers because they flex less and their ratio is consistent. The slot on the stock stamped rockers makes the ratio a bit dynamic. Bottom line: if you're going to spring for roller rockers, do yourself a favor and get more lift too. For my money I'd get the Crane aluminum narrow body self aligning rockers, I believe that's what GM sells as theirs. There are enough rocker arm horror stories out there to make me open my wallet for the good stuff, that's why I got the pro magnums. I did have to trim the trusses on my valve covers, but that's my only real complaint.

Awest623

Reaction score
The amount of power gained by rollers alone is negligible. You will see a very small increase in lift with a 1.5:1 roller rockers because they flex less and their ratio is consistent. The slot on the stock stamped rockers makes the ratio a bit dynamic. Bottom line: if you're going to spring for roller rockers, do yourself a favor and get more lift too. For my money I'd get the Crane aluminum narrow body self aligning rockers, I believe that's what GM sells as theirs. There are enough rocker arm horror stories out there to make me open my wallet for the good stuff, that's why I got the pro magnums. I did have to trim the trusses on my valve covers, but that's my only real complaint.
Ok. I got what you're saying now. Thanks

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you describe the performance differences between them? I don't know much about cams

The L31 marine cam might give you a 10 hp gain over the L31 cam. The cams I mentioned above will give you more like 25-30 hp and keep the engine from falling on its face at 4,500 rpm. The cams I mentioned will come on strong by the converters stall speed and pull strong up to 5,200-5,500 rpm.

Awest623

Reaction score
The L31 marine cam might give you a 10 hp gain over the L31 cam. The cams I mentioned above will give you more like 25-30 hp and keep the engine from falling on its face at 4,500 rpm. The cams I mentioned will come on strong by the converters stall speed and pull strong up to 5,200-5,500 rpm.
Thanks. But Imma do the ht383 cam. I've just heard a lot of good things about it. If it does fall on its face then I'll try one of the cams you mentioned. I'm trying not to build this engine too hot. Just a little over stock. And mostly looking for torque, for me hp comes second.

Awest623

Reaction score
And I really don't wanna run into any clearance problems. Don't even wanna change the springs. That's why I'm trying to go with a tried and true setup

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score

Bet you have some dyno sheets to prove it, too. :bs:

Awest623

Reaction score
Bet you have some dyno sheets to prove it, too. :bs:
Well considering what he's posted elsewhere... "I had a 305 in my Tahoe and it pulled the truck around jist fine with 3.42 gears and 32" tall P305/50R20s."

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well considering what he's posted elsewhere... "I had a 305 in my Tahoe and it pulled the truck around jist fine with 3.42 gears and 32" tall P305/50R20s."

Read any of his posts, the guy has had every Chevy V8 imaginable with every aftermarket cam and they all made great power. I'm pretty sure he spends all of his time swapping out engines. He also thinks a cam swap is a minor job and no engine will ever beat a big block. Cool story, bro.

Awest623

Reaction score
Read any of his posts, the guy has had every Chevy V8 imaginable with every aftermarket cam and they all made great power. I'm pretty sure he spends all of his time swapping out engines. He also thinks a cam swap is a minor job and no engine will ever beat a big block. Cool story, bro.
Oh ya. His posts put a smile on my face. Lol. He also doesn't like black bear tunes.