Cab corner cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a quote from a very reputable body and paint shop earlier to replace the cab corners on my 90 extended cab. 200$ for parts and materials and 24 hours of labor, plus taxes and bs, came up to a total of 2200$.
I fully understand it costs alot to keep the lights on and feed the help but this sounds awful high.....Or does it?
Has anyone recently paid to have cab corners replaced recently? How much did the job cost? I'd do it myself, but I don't have a welder, or the sheet metal welding skills. All my welding experience is 1/8" and above. Nor can I paint. Plus I'm working 70 hours a week and have a family that seems to like my attention (for some reason).

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is a labor rate of around $85 per hour. That sounds about rite.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Got a quote from a very reputable body and paint shop earlier to replace the cab corners on my 90 extended cab. 200$ for parts and materials and 24 hours of labor, plus taxes and bs, came up to a total of 2200$.
I fully understand it costs alot to keep the lights on and feed the help but this sounds awful high.....Or does it?
Has anyone recently paid to have cab corners replaced recently? How much did the job cost? I'd do it myself, but I don't have a welder, or the sheet metal welding skills. All my welding experience is 1/8" and above. Nor can I paint. Plus I'm working 70 hours a week and have a family that seems to like my attention (for some reason).

To do the job properly, the box has to come off, there is no way around this.

Of course, some shops have a 'workaround' which involves improper application, inadequate sealing, and a handful of tack welds with the balance a slick of filler. I have seen Fusor adhesive used, along with duct tape and a few wooden wedges used, and all other manner of bullshit to 'stick' the cab corner in place without resorting to removing the box. Once the adhesive is cured, the wedges are removed, then a slick of filler to cover the 'band-aid'.

Personally, I would put that $ 2200 towards a rust free truck, be realistic, it's a twenty-eight year old truck now, '90's were available in June 1989.

lamogo33

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a bodyman I'd say that is about right, perhaps even on the low side. Many people do not understand how many hours body work can take on a rig. Plus drill bits, wire for welder, seam sealer, sand paper, primer, etc... plus taxes, insurance and on and on.

slick96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say that's on the low side as well to do a proper job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd learn how to weld. That's what I'm doing. Parts are 50 bux from any resto partshouse. Harbor freight welder is bout a hundy. Then you tube is your friend. Practice on scrap metal. Then find a friendly body man that's willing to share tips and tricks. Might even help ya. Even with all my that it might not turn out show quality but you'll have a solid cab that will prob look 90% good to most people. Now if you don't have the time or motivation to do all that or just aren't handy, then find a new cab or whole truck that is rust free. I see them all the time being parted out for cheap. If you look hard enough, you can find good condition At reasonable prices. I'm sure none of this is what you wanted to hear though. Either way it's a hassle. I love working with my hands and overcoming problems that I have no answers to and I feel accomplished even with my amateur results. So my old truck, while frustrating sometimes, is more joy to me than any new truck I could have. Anyway, here are my cab corners below. I'll post "after" pics when I'm done and share my DIY if interested. Won't get to it for a month or so though. Good luck

You must be registered for see images attach

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd learn how to weld. That's what I'm doing. Parts are 50 bux from any resto partshouse. Harbor freight welder is bout a hundy. Then you tube is your friend. Practice on scrap metal. Then find a friendly body man that's willing to share tips and tricks. Might even help ya. Even with all my that it might not turn out show quality but you'll have a solid cab that will prob look 90% good to most people. Now if you don't have the time or motivation to do all that or just aren't handy, then find a new cab or whole truck that is rust free. I see them all the time being parted out for cheap. If you look hard enough, you can find good condition At reasonable prices. I'm sure none of this is what you wanted to hear though. Either way it's a hassle. I love working with my hands and overcoming problems that I have no answers to and I feel accomplished even with my amateur results. So my old truck, while frustrating sometimes, is more joy to me than any new truck I could have. Anyway, here are my cab corners below. I'll post "after" pics when I'm done and share my DIY if interested. Won't get to it for a month or so though. Good luck

I agree with you and I've always done everything myself whether comfortable doing it or not. But I'm OCD about things like this and I know no matter how good I did it wouldn't be perfect and it'd drive me nuts. Not to mention I don't have the time or a shop to do it. Might have to wait a couple years til I have a shop and have more time.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with you and I've always done everything myself whether comfortable doing it or not. But I'm OCD about things like this and I know no matter how good I did it wouldn't be perfect and it'd drive me nuts. Not to mention I don't have the time or a shop to do it. Might have to wait a couple years til I have a shop and have more time.

Yeah. I guess in a perfect world we'd all have the time and money. I can appreciate a perfectionist.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score

Your cab corner should go down to below the part in red here, that is why it doesn't fit.