Bypassing ESC Module Permanently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheMrFlippers

Reaction score
Truck is a 1995 C1500 (originally 5.0, 5 speed) currently in the process of finishing up a Vortec/Tbi swap and buttoning up loose ends. This truck still has the ESC Module (secondary spark control module) that was originally mounted on the passenger side of the intake manifold. It also has the common ICM under the distributor cap. This is the only GMT400 I've had that actually has this module, and due to there being no provisions to mount it on the Jegs Intake manifold, I was curious if anyone had eliminated it entirely?

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I eliminated it when I went to a Holley Sniper. The factory small-cap HEI runs fine without it. I do still have the factory ECU in place to control torque converter clutch lockup, and I don't know if it manages anything with the ignition timing. As soon as I rebuild the tranmission and run the TCC off of pressure and vacuum switches the ECU's going away. My plan is to eventually get a Holley distributor.
View media item 32195

TheMrFlippers

Reaction score
I eliminated it when I went to a Holley Sniper. The factory small-cap HEI runs fine without it. I do still have the factory ECU in place to control torque converter clutch lockup, and I don't know if it manages anything with the ignition timing. As soon as I rebuild the tranmission and run the TCC off of pressure and vacuum switches the ECU's going away. My plan is to eventually get a Holley distributor.
View media item 32195
I've heard you can cut and splice two of the wires to the ESC, mine will be running the factory ECU (tuned) but factory nonetheless.