built 406 or mild 350 w/whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Non-Vortec water pumps have a small hole on the right side that leads to the impeller suction side. The non-Vortec blocks have a double-drilled (intersecting holes) hole from the passenger side deck surface to the water pump gasket area.

Non-Vortec heads and head gasket have a matching hole, so coolant from the right side head is routed back to the water pump. Allows circulation when the thermostat is closed.

Vortec heads and water pump don't have the matching holes, although a few Vortec blocks have the hole. Therefore, you always see external bypass systems on Vortec small-blocks.
Ive built hundreds of sbc and plugged about half of them off on bypass with zero negative effects, vortec and non vortec headgaskets have the bypass hole even if block doesnt. Only thing i do to vortec block is drill and tap the two missing timing cover bolts that already have a boss castbin jus no hole

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Horsepower= Torque × Speed / 5252

you can't measure hp

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Funny you both agree on something that is incorrectamundo.

Horsepower = Torque x RPM / 5,252

It's also why torque and HP always cross at 5,252 RPM

Revolutions per minute is the angular speed from which the torque is measured.

This sums up both our positions.
From Power Test Dyno:
We know that Work is achieved when there is Force and Displacement. Power is Work factored by Speed(SPEED). Since we are dealing with rotary motion it is called Angular Speed and it is expressed in Radians/sec or Revolutions/Minute. A radian is an angle where the radius is the same length as the length of the arc created by that angle. It is the same no matter the size of the circle. Hence, there are 2π radians in every revolution. Just like a revolution, radians have no unit of measure, which works out well because torque already has the displacement unit (feet) in it.

Other descriptions if you really want to split hairs.

Watt was working in a mine, using horses to pull wagons of coal. He wanted to determine how much coal a pony could pull in a wagon over a given length. He measured how many feet a horse could pull 22,000 pounds of coal in one minute. He then increased that amount to 33,000 foot-pounds in a minute, and called it horsepower.

1 hp = 750 watts, or you can calculate hp from elapsed time
Horsepower = Weight/(ET/5.825)3 This one uses vehicle speed since that's what you thought speed in my previously posted formula represented.

Last edited: