built 406 or mild 350 w/whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackstack

Reaction score
The whole torque vs. hp argument makes me want to sucker punch someone in the liver....

Torque produces exactly ZERO work. HP produces work. So we throw around the term torque to represent low rpm HP under the curve. What we should be measuring is HP at the bottom and top rpm of every shift. That's your average HP pulling a trailer from 0-75 mph. In a trailer pulling drag race between a hot 350 vs. a mild 454 it doesn't really matter where the RPM is as long as the gearing is right for the powerband of the motor. But obviously a small cubic inch motor with low gearing isn't going to last as long or operate as nice as a low rpm big cubic inch motor.

As Erik the Awful said: "Power under the curve. Power under the curve. Power under the curve."

My twin turbo 3.5 Ecoboost in my Taurus SHO has way more low end HORSEPOWER than my old 454 TBI (and a Vortec too). You could build a twin turbo 6.0 LS motor too for a truck application that would eat the NA 454's lunch day in and day out. It doesn't have to be an 800hp 7,000 rpm drag motor.

I'd choose a high compression NA or mildly boosted 454 every time over the stock or stock tuned 6.0 LS for a towing application though.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why is a 7.4 Vortec not on the list? Around here you can get a complete, running engine for $500. 7.4 swap should be pretty easy on that truck. Maybe a little more if you want all the harness/ECU. That's less than a rotating assembly for ANY engine.

I'm talking just stock engines to get you an usable truck...now if you want something special or "want" to build you an engine (and have the time and $$$,) well, that's a different story.

Blackstack

Reaction score
Why is a 7.4 Vortec not on the list? Around here you can get a complete, running engine for $500. 7.4 swap should be pretty easy on that truck. Maybe a little more if you want all the harness/ECU. That's less than a rotating assembly for ANY engine.

I'm talking just stock engines to get you an usable truck...now if you want something special or "want" to build you an engine (and have the time and $$$,) well, that's a different story.

Pretty sure that's what everyone is referring to when they say 454....

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, got confused then, I saw 406 on the title, but now realized there are 2 vehicles, and a swap (or 2?) proposed? LOL....just got lost in the LS vs BBC back and forth...

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, got confused then, I saw 406 on the title, but now realized there are 2 vehicles, and a swap (or 2?) proposed? LOL....just got lost in the LS vs BBC back and forth...

Lol, it got sideways for a bit there. I have 2 vehicles that I'm slowing working on. Once is a a 96 Yukon, has the whipple in it that needs a motor. THAT one is gonna get the Vortec 454 if I can come up with the money to get it. Found couple running driving truck with trans issues for 1000 bucks. The other vehicle is a 98 Tahoe, this one will get the 406 with the Ramjet. I priced LSs, parts to convert, the power they make for what I want, and to rebuild one. I could care less bout driving at 4500 rpms everyday. Normal driving im lucky if I go to 3k, less passing or getting on the highway. The 406 is gonna make more torque than an LS, at a lower more economical ROM range. But still pin you in the seat mashin' the gas to 6500. The only Vortec 454 I was awesome. 100% stock except a K&N and true duals. ECLB 4wd, 4l80, 4,10s govlock. I found out on accident that would roast the tires at a dead stop just nailing the gas. With bump up in compression, lil bigger cam (ZZ502 sounds good) bigger injectors, headers and tuned 0411 will prolly embarrass the stock 454. AND be cheaper all around. Buying, building and installing. That's if I can get one, if it doesn't sell....

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
The whole torque vs. hp argument makes me want to sucker punch someone in the liver....

Torque produces exactly ZERO work. HP produces work. So we throw around the term torque to represent low rpm HP under the curve. What we should be measuring is HP at the bottom and top rpm of every shift. That's your average HP pulling a trailer from 0-75 mph. In a trailer pulling drag race between a hot 350 vs. a mild 454 it doesn't really matter where the RPM is as long as the gearing is right for the powerband of the motor. But obviously a small cubic inch motor with low gearing isn't going to last as long or operate as nice as a low rpm big cubic inch motor.

As Erik the Awful said: "Power under the curve. Power under the curve. Power under the curve."

My twin turbo 3.5 Ecoboost in my Taurus SHO has way more low end HORSEPOWER than my old 454 TBI (and a Vortec too). You could build a twin turbo 6.0 LS motor too for a truck application that would eat the NA 454's lunch day in and day out. It doesn't have to be an 800hp 7,000 rpm drag motor.

I'd choose a high compression NA or mildly boosted 454 every time over the stock or stock tuned 6.0 LS for a towing application though.

You can punch in the liver all you want, HP doesn't exist without torque...HP is torque multiplied by RPM.

Your 3.5l ecoboost is an argument for what? Having driven one, it's not that impressive, I will admit its a very linear or flat "torque curve", however. I'll still take cubic inches over forced induction in that arena, specifically when we are talking about a gasoline engine used to pull loads or drag a heavy vehicle. No doubt a smaller turbo setup to push boost early in a 6.0l would do plenty of work, but at the cost of quicker wear and tear. There is no right answer to "what is best." That boils down to what you know, and how deep your pocket book is. I view things in cents per mile vs one singular cost...it's the very reason I don't own a diesel.

Blackstack

Reaction score
You can punch in the liver all you want, HP doesn't exist without torque...HP is torque multiplied by RPM.

Your 3.5l ecoboost is an argument for what? Having driven one, it's not that impressive, I will admit its a very linear or flat "torque curve", however. I'll still take cubic inches over forced induction in that arena, specifically when we are talking about a gasoline engine used to pull loads or drag a heavy vehicle. No doubt a smaller turbo setup to push boost early in a 6.0l would do plenty of work, but at the cost of quicker wear and tear. There is no right answer to "what is best." That boils down to what you know, and how deep your pocket book is. I view things in cents per mile vs one singular cost...it's the very reason I don't own a diesel.

LOL! Sez the guy that doesn't even know what the calculation for HP is....

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If we lived close to each other we could know for sure which of us is right. I'll take a screamer in a drag race against a tq monster and drive right around it. You guys sound like harley riders talking to crotch rocket riders lolololololol
Jus where you live? I got a skinny that loves to pick on ls based stuff. O and it makes alot of torque too