Building the Red Rooster, help needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedRooster

Reaction score
First post. I'm a aspiring backyard mechanic. I'm looking to build my stock, 96 vortec 350, vin R. I recently had the stock heads machined and valve job done, shortly afterwards, the motor starts knocking. Now, I've got it out of the truck, torn down, all except for pistons and the crank. I bought myself a Honda to drive while fixing it. I'm looking to spend 2k$ on the motor, maybe less, but when it comes to internals, I'm a bit lost, any suggestions would be great and ill post pictures of the build as i go. When it comes to work, I'm willing to tackle anything, this is the first motor i've ever pulled and had it out in 1 day with a little help. It's a 4WD if that mekes any difference, stock 4l60e, stock rear end. I've got a K&N CAI, stock headers to straight duals with an x pipe. Let me know if I'm missing anything. I've done some reading on this forum and could probably throw something together from that, but I want some input and to talk to few experienced guys before i start shelling money out.

Here's what I'm working with so far:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: