building 5.7 for 96 sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

voodoopig

Reaction score
I own a 96 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab with a 4.8 vortec with 194k miles, it doesn't smoke or burn oil but i know there's going to be a day when it's starts so I'd like to get a head start on that day, I've called around and found I can't really afford what some of these engine shops want for a rebuilt motor so what I want to do is build my own and upgrade to a 5.7, my question is do I have to get a "Vortec motor" to start my rebuild or can I pick up an older engine and install the vortec heads and intake from my current motor? also will i have to swap out my 4.8 computer for one from a 5.7?
any help is very much appreciated.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 should be a 5.0 or 5.7 if it's a v8. If it's a 5.0 don't use those heads, they're not the same as 5.7 vortec heads. If moneys tight just get a 5.7 vortec from a junk yard and use that.

Blasphemy

Reaction score
4.8? Why not just go with a 5.3? You can get one from just about any junkyard these days for cheap, they have more power and better economy than a 5.7 and in most cases they'll bolt right up to your transmission. I just swapped my 5.7 vortec to a 6.0 LQ9 in my 98 ecsb and it wasn't that bad. It should be up and running by this weekend when I get my ECM back from the tuner.