Brakes now soft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dixietruck

Reaction score
Started the truck today and noticed the parking brake light is now on even though it is not engaged and the pedal is now squishy. It feels as if the breaks don’t engage until the pedal is halfway down now. I replaced all brakes about 1,000 miles ago (rotors and pads in the front, shoes and hardware in the back). Anybody got a clue what it could be?

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be that the rear needs adjusting.
On my '97 Tahoe the peddle got very soft and pushed far. Had the rears adjusted and made a lot of difference.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be that the rear needs adjusting.
On my '97 Tahoe the peddle got very soft and pushed far. Had the rears adjusted and made a lot of difference.
What year truck. The fluid could be low causing light to illuminate. Could have a leak somewhere.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started the truck today and noticed the parking brake light is now on even though it is not engaged and the pedal is now squishy. It feels as if the breaks don’t engage until the pedal is halfway down now. I replaced all brakes about 1,000 miles ago (rotors and pads in the front, shoes and hardware in the back). Anybody got a clue what it could be?
WHAT VEHICLE???

First Guess: The park brake light is shared with the Safety Switch in the combination valve.

If the park brake is not engaged, and it's switch isn't turning the light on...the safety switch is turning the light on. That means one circuit of your two-circuit hydraulic system has failed. This could be a defect anywhere in the hydraulic system--from a failed master cylinder to a failed wheel cylinder or anywhere in between.

But you should verify what that light on the dash is triggered by. Ought to be in the owner's manual.

Pop the cover off the master cylinder, see if the fluid level is excessively low.