Brakes keep sticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everybody. Looking for some help here with my brake system.

In November I replaced nearly my entire brake system. I also did a hydroboost swap at the same time.
Brand new parts
  • Rotors
  • Pads (1/2 Ton)
  • 3/4 ton calipers
  • All three brake lines (rubber hose)
  • Master Cylinder

Then obviously my hydroboost booster which I got used from the forum classifieds.

I didn't replace my rear brakes as they still had some life in them and I'm still somewhat undecided if I'm going to do a 14bolt swap or rear disc swap at some point soon.

Things seemed to work fine for a month or so. After having read some other write ups on hydroboost I realized that it would be a good idea to add a Power steering cooler and PS filter to the system. So around Christmas time (after having hydroboost and new brake parts for a little over a month) I install a cooler and filter. I take off down the highway and it feels like I'm driving into a headwind even though I'm not. It takes a lot more throttle to keep up highway speed than it normally does. So after a mile or two I decide something must be wrong and I pull over. I hop out of my truck to be greeted by brake smoke billowing out of my wheels. Great! My brakes have been stuck on. (I can't remember for sure if it was just the drivers side or both but I think it was both.)
I assume that it must be because of the filter. I figure it must be causing a restriction in the brake system that won't let the hydrobooster fully release. So I limp it home and pull the filter out. Life goes on as normal. It seems to be fixed. I even make a 800 mile journey hauling another truck on a car hauler without incident.
Then last weekend I was driving down the highway and I started to feel some bouncing or oscillation like the road is washboarded. I know this road is smooth though. So I find a good opportunity to pull over and I hop out. Drivers side is fine but passenger side is billowing out brake smoke again. I let things cool off for a minute or two and head back into town. I check the brakes as soon as I'm in town and they seem fine. I didn't do anything other than shut the truck off while the brakes cooled down but they've been fine since.

Any ideas? The first time I thought it was hydroboost because I seem to recall that both sides had gotten stuck. The second time it was only the one side so it couldn't have been the hydroboost as that would have held both on.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
My 98 is not hydroboost, but it is doing this on the drivers side. It will randomly stick. Has a new caliper and line on it. My LF brake does not work at all (can't even slide the tire on ice), but then all of a sudden, it'll work, but it won't release. Gotta crack the bleeder to get it to release, then im back to no LF brake. Im assuming something inside my ABS module is acting up. Its not plugged up anyway, so im gonna do an ABS delete soon and a NBS master swap. That'll have to fix it.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 is not hydroboost, but it is doing this on the drivers side. It will randomly stick. Has a new caliper and line on it. My LF brake does not work at all (can't even slide the tire on ice), but then all of a sudden, it'll work, but it won't release. Gotta crack the bleeder to get it to release, then im back to no LF brake. Im assuming something inside my ABS module is acting up. Its not plugged up anyway, so im gonna do an ABS delete soon and a NBS master swap. That'll have to fix it.

That's what I'm hoping it's not. I don't know if the extra pressure that the hydroboost can generate caused the ABS module which might have been on the verge of going out to finally go or something. I don't want to do an ABS delete and I'm pretty sure that a new module isn't cheap... Plus I don't know how to reliably test one before I just throw more parts at it.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
When you rebuilt the front, did you take the slider pins out and clean them good and put a healthy amount of fresh caliper grease on them? They should be able to slide very easily by hand when changing pads/rotors.

98_k1500

Reaction score
That's what I'm hoping it's not. I don't know if the extra pressure that the hydroboost can generate caused the ABS module which might have been on the verge of going out to finally go or something. I don't want to do an ABS delete and I'm pretty sure that a new module isn't cheap... Plus I don't know how to reliably test one before I just throw more parts at it.

Junkyard is going to be your only chance for a cheap one. I have no idea whats inside that ABS module, but im fairly certain thats whats wrong with mine. Its the only thing that isolates each side of the front brake system upstream of the rubber hoses.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you rebuilt the front, did you take the slider pins out and clean them good and put a healthy amount of fresh caliper grease on them? They should be able to slide very easily by hand when changing pads/rotors.

I just slapped my new out of the box calipers on. They had some grease on the slide pins out of the box so I thought that was good enough. Maybe I was wrong.

Junkyard is going to be your only chance for a cheap one. I have no idea whats inside that ABS module, but im fairly certain thats whats wrong with mine. Its the only thing that isolates each side of the front brake system upstream of the rubber hoses.

Yeah a new one from Rock Auto is nearly $500. Uggh.

98_k1500

Reaction score
I posted a thread about this about a month ago and didn get any replies of anyone this had happened to. Only have heard of this 1 other time, and they are SAS-ing and 12v cummins swapping the truck, so its all gettin ripped out. Don't seem to be a very common problem. Next time mine does it, im gonna start at the master and crack the lines, working my way all the way to the wheel and seeing where it releases pressure.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I posted a thread about this about a month ago and didn get any replies of anyone this had happened to. Only have heard of this 1 other time, and they are SAS-ing and 12v cummins swapping the truck, so its all gettin ripped out. Don't seem to be a very common problem. Next time mine does it, im gonna start at the master and crack the lines, working my way all the way to the wheel and seeing where it releases pressure.

That sounds like a good idea for your problem. Mine always seems to release just by turning the truck off and or coming to a full stop from speed. Not sure which does it since stopping is necessary before I turn it off.