Brake bleed question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkcustoms881

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering if you bleed brakes with truck running or not , does it make a difference

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bleed with the engine off.

If you tell us why you’re bleeding them, and the model / year of the vehicle, we may have other suggestions for you.

Good luck with your project!

mkcustoms881

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1998 Silverado 4x4 I did bleed but with engine running I have brakes but still have to push pedal almost to the floor , I have new front callipers and rotors and pads also new drum setup and new lines , when I bought the truck it had broken rear lines

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have brakes but still have to push pedal almost to the floor , I have new front callipers and rotors and pads also new drum setup and new lines , when I bought the truck it had broken rear lines

Did you install and then adjust the “new drum setup” appropriately, so the shoes are almost touching the drums?

Too, if you had the brake hydraulic system open, an air bubble may have found its way to the ABS unit, and it requires a special method to bleed.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did you install and then adjust the “new drum setup” appropriately, so the shoes are almost touching the drums?

Too, if you had the brake hydraulic system open, an air bubble may have found its way to the ABS unit, and it requires a special method to bleed.

If you're a cheapass, you may be able to get away with cycling ABS on a dirt road vs using a tech 2. I feel that probably works better for an old dirty fluid purge than an air purge, but still worth a shot. Or delete the infernal thing like I did on my 1500. I wonder if OP has air in the master now as well?

mkcustoms881

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes when I set the new shoes there is resistance when the rear drum

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No , it didn’t even cross my mind

That could be screwing you over right there, check out YouTube for how TOs on bleeding a master cylinder, then rebleed the rest of the system. Hopefully you get lucky on the ABS pump.