brake and reverse lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85SS/85GN

Reaction score
hi

i have a 98 silverdao k2500 with a 350 and a 5 speed manual trans. it has trailer brakes on it. the other day my brother was behind me and said that i have no brake lights but turn signals work. then today i was looking at it and reverse light dont work to. i try different circuit boards and changed bulbs and still no luck can anyone help me. thanks

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the T connector by your trailer hitch. Its where the wires for the trailer lights come from the harness.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
had the exact same problem.. switched my brake light switch for a new one and then went to get a all new tail light wiring harness and new borads for the tail lights and it solved all my problems.

severedchris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a large relay style fuse under the hood...check it..also there is a switch under the column that can go bad, if your hazard/turnsignal switch goes bad that can cause the brake lights to be faulty as well...also check all of your grounds.

85SS/85GN

Reaction score
hazards and turn signals work just fine and i replaced the relay under the hood. where is the brake light switch?

severedchris

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
should be on the column there will be a rod connected to it...start at your brake pedal and track the linkage back up to the column...there is a soleniod there somewhere....haven't had the solenoid go bad personally but have heard of it happening

85SS/85GN

Reaction score
ok replaced the brake light switch. i sounded bad. now the hazards still work but on no brake lights or turn signals. tomorrow going to look at my trailer wiring