Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was poking around researching what I had saved from the forum and I came back across this,
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/454-vortech-power-and-torque-numbers-and-afr.44136/
And @L31MaxExpress mentions a B82 converter behind a 454; and it got me thinking about what I could do to help my truck pull. Since I'm going to have the trans rebuilt I figure a different converter could be an option?
Just a stock rebuild I should specify, going to have a Transgo HD2 kit installed, a deep pan, and a larger cooler and that's it as far as improvements go but I wonder how well the B82 converter would play behind the 454? My understanding the stall is around 2500/2700?
Or would I be better off keeping the B81 since I'll be camming the motor?
4L80E?

If so, DO NOT INSTALL that HD2. Dual feed the direct clutch internally, drill feed holes per your converter stall and preferences. Your cam grind, vehicle weight, final drive ratio and intended application determime your converter stall.

Add Sonnax's LB-4L80E, 1-2+2-3 shift valve springs, TCC regulator valve.

Do my lube mods as well for increased lube oil to gears and one way clutch assemblies. Rollerize the rear of the casr.

I have a full rebuild series on the 4L80E on my channel that goes into parts selection, build strategy and other key considerations for overhauling those transmissions

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4L80E?

If so, DO NOT INSTALL that HD2. Dual feed the direct clutch internally, drill feed holes per your converter stall and preferences. Your cam grind, vehicle weight, final drive ratio and intended application determime your converter stall.

Add Sonnax's LB-4L80E, 1-2+2-3 shift valve springs, TCC regulator valve.

Do my lube mods as well for increased lube oil to gears and one way clutch assemblies. Rollerize the rear of the casr.

I have a full rebuild series on the 4L80E on my channel that goes into parts selection, build strategy and other key considerations for overhauling those transmissions
Definitely an 80E; and noted!
I'll be farming the trans work to a local shop, I've spoken to them about what I'm looking for and they're more than accommodating. They do offer a programming kit; it may not be the HD2 but it's definitely a shift kit that they speak highly of.
I'll definitely bring up the lube mods to see if that's something they do, and I guess looking at the link @df2x4 posted I'll probably look to see if they can do a sprag upgrade since my truck is a 96, I wasn't aware they had a less than desirable sprag element.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely an 80E; and noted!
I'll be farming the trans work to a local shop, I've spoken to them about what I'm looking for and they're more than accommodating. They do offer a programming kit; it may not be the HD2 but it's definitely a shift kit that they speak highly of.
I'll definitely bring up the lube mods to see if that's something they do, and I guess looking at the link @df2x4 posted I'll probably look to see if they can do a sprag upgrade since my truck is a 96, I wasn't aware they had a less than desirable sprag element.
Yea, have them install a 97+ direct drum that has the 34-element HD sprag. I also install a wide forward drum bushing from Omega Machine in some builds...Lastly, "reprogramming/shift improvement kits are completely unnecessary if the transmission is out and being completely rebuilt, as you can do all the things such a kit would do without actually buying a kit...They're a waste of money IMO. Installing a basic shift kit is fine if the trans is staying in the vehicle...Perhaps the shop has a proprietary kit they've put together that they're calling a reprogramming kit but that's just a guess.

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wife's been driving the truck still, hopefully I'll have her car back this week and she can get back in it. I know with worn out steering and suspension she's had her fill of driving this thing; which once I get it back I can get the front end redone and possibly roll a set of new tires on.
Piddling a long trying to get my yard cleaned up, got the topper started and almost done. Still needs some more paint and some wet-sanding, the paint isn't an A1 job but for now it'll do
You must be registered for see images attach

Was looking this morning at my 5th wheel rails trying to figure out how to trim the B&W side rails for the Firestone brackets. Anyone got any tips or has anyone else run into that problem?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Holy christ was a struggle that was, stripped out a bolt and it turned into as absolute debacle. Got it done though, and judging by the condition of the balljoints we took off, they were at the end of their service life.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Now what about those UCA and LCA bushings? Going all in on it?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now what about those UCA and LCA bushings? Going all in on it?
Ugh, I don't even want to talk about those. Going to farm those out, but I'm conflicted about needing an alignment after doing bushings or not.
The uppers are annihilated on driver's side, but the passenger side is still okay. Lowers on both sides are dry rotted and cracked to hell but still together.
I've got poly bushings but I'm worried about losing what little ride quality I have, so I'll more than likely get Mevotech rubber bushings.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Ugh, I don't even want to talk about those. Going to farm those out, but I'm conflicted about needing an alignment after doing bushings or not.
The uppers are annihilated on driver's side, but the passenger side is still okay. Lowers on both sides are dry rotted and cracked to hell but still together.
I've got poly bushings but I'm worried about losing what little ride quality I have, so I'll more than likely get Mevotech rubber bushings.
Do all of them at once and be done with it. I wouldn't hesitate to do one side a weekend if you need to run it during the week (or free up shop space if you're slummin it in a buddies shop). Farming it out? Cry once and have them do them all.

Poly vs rubber, no opinions here. Seems quite a few like the poly. I'm cheap and went napa loaded UCA's to replce the ones that the PO has cranked onto the stops at ride height.

Definitely get it on a rack when you're finished if new tires aren't in the near future.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do all of them at once and be done with it. I wouldn't hesitate to do one side a weekend if you need to run it during the week (or free up shop space if you're slummin it in a buddies shop). Farming it out? Cry once and have them do them all.

Poly vs rubber, no opinions here. Seems quite a few like the poly. I'm cheap and went napa loaded UCA's to replce the ones that the PO has cranked onto the stops at ride height.

Definitely get it on a rack when you're finished if new tires aren't in the near future.
If I farm it out I'm definitely having them do both sides uppers and lowers, no sense in doing just one portion, hopefully the plan is to get everything replaced up front and get it aligned, then go for new tires. Money's tight as hell right now though.
Luckily I've almost got everything I need for the front end, just need tie-rods and bushings. Still need to go scoop up the NBS knuckles I've been eyeing at the salvage yard too