Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GMT800 diff would be the proper way to get rear discs. Then you could do an 800 knuckle swap and have a matching setup.

Was that H2 front diff an air locker?
Nope. Electric locker similar to the Eaton E-Locker. I could in theory go with the ARB locker if I wanted since I'll be adding a compressor to the truck.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do have an opportunity to get a diff out of an 02 2500HD, maybe pull a diff from a 98 K2500 as well to compare to two.
I've also got a lead on an H2 part out, which means a front locker for a 9.25 front diff, just have to do a little more research on it while I collect parts.
I did think about an NBS 14-bolt, but was concerned about having to reweld axle perches and shock mounts.
Sweet. The case comparison pictures I posted were from a 98, if that helps any. Probably have more too.
Would be awesome if the locker swapped, didn't know about the possibility of that. I'll have to keep an eye out on your progress.
Perches and mounts wouldn't be too bad, but depends on the tools at hand I suppose. I don't know if you have any of the rot associated with the Ubolt shackles on these, but might be able to get two birds stoned at once in the area too.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because it doesn't ride like a brick in a roller skate, IMO
Valid. I think the shot suspension up front doesn't help either, my crew cab rides like a silk sheet but it's also on clapped out shocks and 265s. I need to get the airbag system on that truck since I'm wanting to make that truck the primary tow rig.
----------------------
As posted in the "What did you do to your GMT400" thread, had to do brakes. Again. Driver's side this time, definitely something up with the calipers on both sides. Pads worn down to nothing on the inside and the outside pad has a funky wear angle on it.

Attachments

• PXL_20240103_214627293.jpg
    PXL_20240103_214627293.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 7

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Valid. I think the shot suspension up front doesn't help either, my crew cab rides like a silk sheet but it's also on clapped out shocks and 265s. I need to get the airbag system on that truck since I'm wanting to make that truck the primary tow rig.
----------------------
As posted in the "What did you do to your GMT400" thread, had to do brakes. Again. Driver's side this time, definitely something up with the calipers on both sides. Pads worn down to nothing on the inside and the outside pad has a funky wear angle on it.

Both of my crew cabs ride head and shoulders nicer than my (2500 sprung) 1500, but guess what gets driven the most?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I was poking around researching what I had saved from the forum and I came back across this,
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/454-vortech-power-and-torque-numbers-and-afr.44136/
And @L31MaxExpress mentions a B82 converter behind a 454; and it got me thinking about what I could do to help my truck pull. Since I'm going to have the trans rebuilt I figure a different converter could be an option?
Just a stock rebuild I should specify, going to have a Transgo HD2 kit installed, a deep pan, and a larger cooler and that's it as far as improvements go but I wonder how well the B82 converter would play behind the 454? My understanding the stall is around 2500/2700?
Or would I be better off keeping the B81 since I'll be camming the motor?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Superior shift kit in my 1500 and the B82 converter. I'd have to check tomorrow, but I'm thinking 2500 is the high end of where it stalls. It's mostly only going to help off the line, once you're rolling not a lot of difference. Except on those low rpm part throttle upshifts, you'll see less RPM drop there. I have no desire for a B82 in the plow truck or the dually though. They make enough snort on their own for what they do.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Superior shift kit in my 1500 and the B82 converter. I'd have to check tomorrow, but I'm thinking 2500 is the high end of where it stalls. It's mostly only going to help off the line, once you're rolling not a lot of difference. Except on those low rpm part throttle upshifts, you'll see less RPM drop there. I have no desire for a B82 in the plow truck or the dually though. They make enough snort on their own for what they do.
Noted.
If it'll only help off the line, I'll just put that money towards a 4.10 gear swap and work on trans tuning after the rebuild for tow/haul mode.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score