Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Kroil came in so naturally I soaked down a few manifold bolts in preparation for headers

When you actually take them off you'll want to get the studs hot and use candle wax to get the nuts off and the studs out. Go with ARP for replacements. It may seem uneccessary to do that after Kroil, but drilling a stud out of the head was ZERO fun when i had to do it (I had to drill out the stud that was on the top, rear-most on the driver's side. No thank you.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Uncle passing away, he had a nice looking GMC, don't see too many 67-72 GMC's around.

Truck looks nice with the GMC grille on it, seems to fit with the chrome smoothies better imo.

Thanks for the condolences, it was a tough one to get through.
There's actually tons more 67-72 trucks in that part of Iowa, I think within a 3 day period I saw at least 15 both sitting and driving around.

When you actually take them off you'll want to get the studs hot and use candle wax to get the nuts off and the studs out. Go with ARP for replacements. It may seem uneccessary to do that after Kroil, but drilling a stud out of the head was ZERO fun when i had to do it (I had to drill out the stud that was on the top, rear-most on the driver's side. No thank you.

That's my plan, Kroil, candle wax, and patience. I decided to go with JBA shorties, I'm still stuck trying to figure out if they'll bolt to the stock exhaust. I might just wind up going through with a full 3" from header back if it looks like it'll be a janky install with factory downpipes.
@Christian Steffen, what do you think of your headers?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New cablight lenses and gaskets installed. Managed to find a short in the harness and went through about 6 fuses before I got the issue located, 4th light on the passenger side had rubbed through the coating and was making contact with the cab.
I'll grab pics tomorrow, it got dark quick once I got done chasing electrical gremlins.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
New cablight lenses and gaskets installed. Managed to find a short in the harness and went through about 6 fuses before I got the issue located, 4th light on the passenger side had rubbed through the coating and was making contact with the cab.
I'll grab pics tomorrow, it got dark quick once I got done chasing electrical gremlins.

What are you using for screws or sealing them? I've got some new Dorman lights that I've never installed. Metal on hard plastic doesn't seem like it would seal all that well.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are you using for screws or sealing them? I've got some new Dorman lights that I've never installed. Metal on hard plastic doesn't seem like it would seal all that well.

A touch of silicone and I have sort of a rubber grommet that fits in the hole over the screw. The GM lenses actually have a little ridge that the screw sets down into and it seals pretty nicely there.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Probably my issue as well. The dually usually only lights up 3/5. If I slap the roof, the other 2 come on for a bit.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All I've seen from JBA is the TBI style downpipe where it's two into one, I haven't found the Vortec style "true dual" down pipes.

The JBAs i have were meant to work with their individual 3" down pipes, at least i think they're 3". They use their ball and socket connection on the headers i put in, so i really had not choice but to run their down pipes too. They are very nice mandrel bent SS tubes, they're spendy though. Then I used a y merging pipe to single 3.5".

Last edited:

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the condolences, it was a tough one to get through.
There's actually tons more 67-72 trucks in that part of Iowa, I think within a 3 day period I saw at least 15 both sitting and driving around.

That's my plan, Kroil, candle wax, and patience. I decided to go with JBA shorties, I'm still stuck trying to figure out if they'll bolt to the stock exhaust. I might just wind up going through with a full 3" from header back if it looks like it'll be a janky install with factory downpipes.
@Christian Steffen, what do you think of your headers?

I don't have any complaints about my headers, installation was relatively issue free if i remember correctly. Biggest thing is being careful not to damage the coating on them.

I think i installed mine in 2016 and so far they're holding up well, no leaks or anything. They are showing some surface rust now, mostly in spots that i damaged the coating, but its purely superficial.