Bottom end shot. Rebuild, replace, or ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '96 L29 in my K2500 Suburban. The bottom end is shot. I am thinking of pulling it to do a rebild, but the crank and rods will need to be machined. I just did a teardown on my Jeep motor and I'm really not in the mood for this 1,000 lb monster, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

The engine has had a ga-da-dung everytime I start it for a coule years so I knew it was coming. The last time I drove it, the Oil Pressure at 45 MPH cruising was about 10 PSI. The high end wouldn't hit 40 PSI. It's been parked since. So now I need to get it back on the road and since the glaciers have receeded in the northeast, now is the time. A GM Performance Engine is about $4700 but I'm not entirely clear on what the warranty is like, and if there is even a core charge (free shipping though apparently). AutoZone (for exmaple) has a ProFormance engine for around $2900 after tax, + $810 core +$100 Shipping.

The truck is about as mint as you can get for used. No rust, clean, just 190,000 miles on the engine (see pic in sig). We are planning on keeping it until it rots apart. (I'm not kidding, we have a 1995 subaru with 238,000 miles and one rear fender is 6 layers of black duct-tape that the other one I hamemred out of a peice of sheet metal, painted and attached with Self-drilling/tapping screws.... I'm a gearhead, not a body artist).

It's also critical because we have a family of 6 and at the moment we need to drive both the Jeep (1997 - in sig) and the Subaru everytime we go somewhere. I need a reliable engine that will last a long time and hold up to the occasional heavy haul. The rest of the drivetrain is tight and the transmission is smooth and clean. Spending $5G on an engine is... not something I can afford right now.

I'm not even sure what the machine costs would/should be. Another option I've toyed with is doing a bottom-end rebuild for now, then save up for say a 454HO from GM Performance One of those retails for about $5600 but I'm not sure that my Vortec system could feed the 425HP, 500lb/ft rating... or if my 4L80E would hold up to the increased power.

Thoughts? This is my baby. ;-) Thanks.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Most places around here charge $10 a hole to bore a block, and $10 a throw to turn a crank. You could build a very similar engine to that 454 HO with well under 1/2 the cost. Just get the cam specs and compression from that motor, and replicate it as close as possible. You would be miles ahead on cost and have plenty of money left over for a tune.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I just found I can get a short-block version of that 454 HO that sounds decent and closer to my price range (but still nearly $1000 more than the one from Autozone). New block, pistons, tin, Forged crank and rods.... Everything else I could swap over. Then I could turn my old block in for scrap and get some money back that way.

My rods need to be machined as well as the crank. The block just needs a hone. But when I pressed out the wrist-pins on my Jeep, every single piston had a cracked skirt and then they split from the carbon buildup on the pins. I'd expect to have the same issue with this engine. 190,000 miles is a long time and these things don't exactly sip gas. I'm expecting a fair amount of carbon.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Block is worth more to someone that wants to build it than scrap. Cast iron don't sell for much.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Lol, i'll stick to my small block. Way tougher RPM wise. I'd blow up a big block with my 5 speed.