Body lift question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
doubtful, power steering lose would be from a hose, pump or gear box itself.

complete lose of steering WOULD be from the extension.

what can or woul dhappen without it? the shaft come out and you loose all steering control from the wheel.

Do you need it? some say yes, some say it'll adjust down enough to work without it.
My point is that if it is pulled out enough it will allow fluid to leak without completey coming out. Though I am not too familiar with the steering system in these trucks.

astewart1995

ImAwesome
Reaction score
if im on the gas it'll turn. ive got another box but wast sure if it could be the extension or not. someone told me i had to do something with the new box before install, what is it i have to do before putting it in?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My point is that if it is pulled out enough it will allow fluid to leak without completey coming out. Though I am not too familiar with the steering system in these trucks.
The shaft is bolted to the steering box, no way for it to pull out causing a leak. There is a collaspable shaft between the box and steering coloum, the body lift extension bolts onto the end of the coloum. As you lift the body up the shaft will extend, Performance accessory must think that there is an unsafe amount of shaft engagment left that is why the need to the extension. Being said I have seen 3" lifts installed without the extension.

If your truck is leaking power steering fluid or hard to turn it has nothing to do with the body lift, look into the pump or steering box.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if im on the gas it'll turn. ive got another box but wast sure if it could be the extension or not. someone told me i had to do something with the new box before install, what is it i have to do before putting it in?

You would have to swap the pitman arm from old box to new box, or replace it if it is worn. Other then that I cant think of anything needing to be done before installing it. You said it has a major leak, Where is it leaking from? is it just a line, the gear box or the pump?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shaft is bolted to the steering box, no way for it to pull out causing a leak. There is a collaspable shaft between the box and steering coloum, the body lift extension bolts onto the end of the coloum. As you lift the body up the shaft will extend, Performance accessory must think that there is an unsafe amount of shaft engagment left that is why the need to the extension. Being said I have seen 3" lifts installed without the extension.

If your truck is leaking power steering fluid or hard to turn it has nothing to do with the body lift, look into the pump or steering box.

that's exactly what i thought. I have never seen any that slide it and could let fluid out. I knew what he meant but I figured well maybe I'm missing something and maybe it does.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score

Ahh I gotcha. I'll jot this down as a learning experience, thanks!