Blower motor relay failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Has anyone had the blower motor relay fail so that none of the speeds work, not just high? I'm having an increasingly intermittent problem where I lose power to the blower motor. Blower switch is brand new, motor and resistor are about five years old. None of the wiring connectors at the switch, resistor, relay or motor are burnt at all. Did some troubleshooting, I think I narrowed it down to the relay; when I put a jumper wire across the harness pins, I could get all speeds. Oddly enough, after I put the relay back in place, the blower started working normally again, after not working for several days. Yes, resistor is still okay, even if it wasn't, it wouldn't explain why high speed wouldn't work.

This is on a 95 with a 96+ controller.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Suburban somehow managed to melt the relay and the motor simultaneously one day. No idea how that happened, but when my mechanic went to diagnose the problem both tested bad.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Did it melt any of wiring connectors? A motor going bad can draw a lot more amps than normal, and that would burn up wires, switch, resistor, etc. in no time.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Believe it or not, no! Relay was very slightly melty, smelled like magic smoke. No wiring damage at all, though.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Put a new relay in, it's working again for now, but it could take a few days before it acts up again.

If it stops working again, I believe it could be the ignition switch. Anyone know if other accessories (like wipers, power locks, etc.) are on the same contact in the switch as the blower is? I cannot find a wiring diagram for the ignition switch itself. I haven't noticed power loss to other things, but if I did that would be a good indicator.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wondered about this thread after you posted the other one a few days ago... Glad you figured it out!

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
It threw me for a loop, I had no less than 12volts shown on my multimeter everywhere I checked, but I guess the switch wasn't passing enough current to get anything done. Guess it just happened to make enough contact while I was bypassing the relay.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Well *******!!! The ignition switch was a coincidence, blower motor still quits. I've worked through everything, I must have a intermittent ground to the motor. Does anyone know where the goddamn thing grounds at?? Apparently I'm losing ground to the actuators as well, so just running a new ground for the motor probably isn't the best idea.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When the motor stops working can you smack it to get it to work again or is there more to this problem? With the koeo the actuators aren't working either?

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3