Black Toolboxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Those of you who have black toolboxes, do they get really hot to the touch in the summer? I know even the chrome ones do, just wondering how bad the black ones are.

Thinking of a black box for my truck.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
cover it in spray bedliner. it'll still get hot, but bedliner won't transfer heat like metal does.

BadBowtie 98

BOWTIE TILL I DIE
Reaction score
Those of you who have black toolboxes, do they get really hot to the touch in the summer? I know even the chrome ones do, just wondering how bad the black ones are.

Thinking of a black box for my truck.

I Plasti Dipped my Chrome one to Black :naughty:

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
It will get a bit warmer, but it's the INSIDE you have to worry about getting hot.

FYI- If you have one or paint a box black, don't put any L-ion batteries inside during the summer....they'll fry.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Really I don't think there is much of a difference. Thin aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat no matter what color it is.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
My diamondplate chrome one got too hot to touch during the summer last year. I'd be more worried about how fast the paint fades or chips in broad daylight.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Anything thats a dark color will get really hot in direct sunlight!

True dat.

It will get a bit warmer, but it's the INSIDE you have to worry about getting hot.

FYI- If you have one or paint a box black, don't put any L-ion batteries inside during the summer....they'll fry.

Thanks for the heads up, I remember that if I get one. Are you talking about ones like in your cordless drills?

u could toss a frozen pizza in it during the summer and call it ur lunch box!

Now yer talking!!!!

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
it does blow cause i used to keep beer in my ol toolbox.... i've got great tricks to make it an icechest.