Black Bear Tune Issue!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k15 5.7l

Reaction score
My black bear traditional tune for my 1996 k1500 5.7l just came in. Very happy with the way it performs and the changes made. But im having a issue... After I put the pcm in, whenever I get on the truck it will continue to climb in the rpm's even above 5500 rpm.. there is no rev limiter and it does not shift. Im too afraid to run the truck out to 6k in fear of breaking something, to find out whether he raised the shift point to 6k or what. I have no codes or anything. Can someone shed some light on this? I emailed Justin but itll probably take him 3 or 4 days to get back. Wish he would post a phone number.

Thanks,
Greg

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The tune on my 4.3 truck raised the shift points to roughly 5600rpm, I seriously doubt that their intention was to raise yours to 6000 or better. Where exactly in the RPM range did you chicken out? I'm assuming my 4.3 can comfortably turn more RPMs than the 5.7. Does it shift properly under part throttle?

EDIT - Also, what condition is your transmission in? Stock or modded? Any issues prior to the tune? Regular fluid changes?

k15 5.7l

Reaction score
The trucks transmission is completely factory, and it shifts perfectly under part throttle and normal crusing. Although at about 75 percent I believe it will continue to increase in rpm as well. And I prolly chickened out around 5800 rpm.. and I felt bad taking it that damn high.

Thanks
Greg

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, well if it didn't have any issues before the tune then I'm guessing something got entered incorrectly. The reason I asked about the trans though is that I've seen certain auto transmissions do things like this when they're on their way out. Hope you get it sorted out once you get a response from BBP.

k15 5.7l

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I think happened as well. something was put in wrong.

Lextech

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is NO way Justin could post his phone number. He would never get anything done. Just take it easy on your truck until you get a reply from him. There may be nothing wrong with the tune. It may just be a personal preference that his intention was to make it shift a bit higher than you want it to. He has excellent customer service. I'm sure they will get back to you.

Jeff

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is NO way Justin could post his phone number. He would never get anything done.

This is kind of what I thought when the other BBP thread was posted not long ago. I understand wanting to talk with someone ASAP, but other tuning companies like Nelson are very large operations with lots of people on staff to tend to things like immediate customer service. BBP is a much smaller organization so they don't have that luxury. They do amazing work, though.