"Big Red"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last of the story... Well once the truck got out of the paint shop (it took a year there), Big Red was taken to my buddy's house. The reconstruction would have to be outside, but that would be OK. With life getting in the way as it often does, the time there has slipped to three years. Installing the motor first time around, I put the clutch fork in wrong, and had to pull the motor again. It's easier to pull the motor with a 4X4, than to pull the trans, however busted the windshield.. which turned out to be sort of a major deal. No one sells the molded rubber first design glass anymore. The second design has replaceable side seals, and that glass sucks. That's what is there now, and I hate it. (Update; By a fluke of nature, I was able to get the first design glass, and it may be the last one on the planet!). Big Reds seats are Corbeau race style (model no longer made, but similar to A4), which I had recovered garnet red. They are nice looking, but the included seat brackets put your head on the roof. I ended up fab'ing a seat bracket from scratch, which took a few attempts.. Measure twice, LOL! Now that winter is set in, there will be another pause for warmer days (I don't work if it's under 50 degrees.. I'm from Georgia for God's sake!).

Things I've learned:

Restoring a truck without your own garage is almost impossible.
Trust no one, except family and life long friends. They are the only ones who will bail you out in a spot... you might have to beg though:p
Dedicate a room for your parts, and absolutely positively make a parts list ledger! I just about have 3 of everything... it's ridiculous.
If you have a life, it's going to take a long time to finish. There will be days you just want to give up. Push through that.
Do it for love, not money. You will never get your investment back, unless your Chip Foose, and your probably not Chip Foose.

Plans:
I'd like to add AC one day.. which will include a new dash most likely. That is a major one though, so that may just be a dream.
I want to take it on a big trip.. maybe go to Texas to see a SpaceX rocket launch.
Throw a camper in it for retirement, and tour the states for a year.

I was lucky. I bought my truck new, and there was nothing wrong or broken with my truck when I started. Everything that was rebuilt was only from normal aging out. I can't even imagine what a second/third/fourth owner may have to go through.

Well that's Big Reds Story, and I'm sticking to it. Pics as they become available!
---

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Column rebuild begins. Manual columns are significantly different from auto trans versions... both tilt and non tilt, however, both are a PITA. 94 up are even worse (this is an 89 with cruse and intermittent wipers).

Seat bracket Fab.

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

New Lecarra Steering wheel. Going from a Mark 9 Elegant to Mark 9 Supreme. Part#94303 - Hub Adapter#B-64403 - Horn button#32325 (Billet Specialties Bowtie polished): All from Summit

They are the same size, it's just a fluke of the picture.

Make a parts list, or you'll end up ordering the same thing over, and over, and over.....:banghead:

HawkDsl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

New glass install. 88-94 used a rubber molded surround on the glass, called First Design. Starting in 93, they went to Second Design, which had "replaceable" side rubber. I understand the idea, but the original first design was allot better IMHO. First design is virtually impossible to get.

First design Glass:

Second Design Glass: