BIG MOTHER THUNMPER???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok i want to run a big mother thumper comp cam, i hear beehive springs, headers, cut down the heads .005, and .020 gaskets + a tune and its in my reach. can anyone confirm this? or is it still too much for the vortec w/o a marine intake? not sure.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oooo also roller rockers are needed i belive. 1.5-1.6 dont know which one cant figure it out yet. can one of you super high performance gear heads hook me up? lol. my goal is totally disturbing idle lope dont care about mpg and pretty much a weekend warrior. i just got another new truck to dd while this one is in surgury. no need for a stall converter because its a 5 speed and it has 373s. i do need headers still though. im just on a buying spree till i have every last part to do this swap before i start it. i want it to be a quick out with the old in with the new swap, possibility of buying different heads, FYI either already cut down machined vortecs or afr alum heads. suggestions? i have a 355 strong bottom end to support everything with a near stock compression im not 100% i built it a long time ago, with 305 heads. stock is 9.5:1 and i think mines around 9.7:1 not certain!

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are going to spend the money on the cam don't cheap out and use the heads you have now. Get a nice set of after market heads to go with the cam also some nice long tubes to really bring out the sound of the new thumper. Contact comp cams and they will set you up with what all you need to run what ever cam it is you want. Tell them what you want out of the cam and they can help you with the rest. Just don't start throwing money at it in an attempt to sound cool. Match the parts together and get the sound and power to boot.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heads and cam would be ideal...but his vortec heads actually flow very well, I don't think a cam would be a waste with keeping his heads, and be a whole lot less expensive...sure matched AFR heads, custom cam, and LT's would be a bad ass setup, but the price would be pretty prohibitive.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i just reashearced all last night. im def keeping vortec heads, at least now after reading. id love afrs but i think with what i have read getting my vortec heads machined so i can run a cam with .550 lift and a professinal port and polish would be the way to go, i found i can get a new set already machined for like 600 bucks. so i want to do that run the same thumper cam i mentioned, and a marine intake with the 411 swap. i know i can make more power with a diff cam but i want the thumpr still im pretty sure. and yes i have always wanted the long tubes, i cant find em in stainless though.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah after reading and learning more about that cam id call it the big ***** poser. im not going to use that cam. i have read for about 2 weeks on combos with heads and cams and that thumpr series cam was made to only sound sick, you dont get much performance gain and they are very hard to tune. i think im going to run a extreme 4x4 comp cam, as of now that should still sound really good chopping the ide a little bit but with my set up and driving habits it should be the best choice for what i want to do.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this going to go into your 97 or 92? Keep in mind even though the cam would give a "lobe or lope" sound to the truck, when tuned properly you would be able to tell its not stock, but it wont be really drastic like that ***** thumpr one. Like i said that guys died on him and i would be willing to bet it runs like a dog.