Big find at the Pull a Part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All you need is new brake rotors up front from a (same year as your suburban) 7200 gvw (light duty) 2500. And a rearend out of a 4wd suburban. BUT the rearend will be 3" wider so you will need to put 1.5" spacers up front and you can run nbs/nnbs rims. Or do like I did and get 4" lift spindles because they widen the track width 4" so you'll be about even.

So big question. What are you wanting to accomplish in changing to 6 lug?
I do eventually plan on converting to 4wd with a solid axle. My intentions with the 6 lug (or a 14 lug) is to have a stouter rear end when I upgrade the front end. That way I'm not having to upgrade both ends at once.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Then you will want a 14 bolt out of a 4wd. Because iirc a Dana 60 or 44 is wider than a 4wd 14 bolt so you definitely don't want a really narrow one out of a 2wd.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then you will want a 14 bolt out of a 4wd. Because iirc a Dana 60 or 44 is wider than a 4wd 14 bolt so you definitely don't want a really narrow one out of a 2wd.
I still have no way of transporting or even getting an axle pulled out from under a vehicle, 4wd or not.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind, I'm not dead set on 4wd converting. I probably dont need 4wd for most of where I need to get sometimes, just need to lift it so I have more clearance (and a skid plate), but it sure would be nice to have 4wd as a reserve.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Keep in mind, I'm not dead set on 4wd converting. I probably dont need 4wd for most of where I need to get sometimes, just need to lift it so I have more clearance (and a skid plate), but it sure would be nice to have 4wd as a reserve.

A SAS and 4wd conversion on a 2wd is not a weekend project. If you really want a 4wd for mild offroad use then sell yours and buy a 4wd. If you want a toy then do the conversion.

But if you want a lifted 2wd I'd recommend the rough country 4" spindle lift and some 32" tall tires and if your worried about your 10 bolt just swap the g80 out for a locker.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The main offroad use I'd have is brush, not much mud.
And I know 4wd sas isnt a weekend project. All I'm talking at this exact moment is upgrading the rear axle.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
I still have no way of transporting or even getting an axle pulled out from under a vehicle, 4wd or not.

Doesn't this answer your own question whether to get it or not? Is the 6 lug axle an upgrade? Yes. Is it what you need? Probably not, and might be more of a pain in the ass if you plan to SAS it. It might have a crappy gear ratio that will be hard to match a front end with. Depending on what kind of transfer case you decide to run will decide on whether you need a Ford or GM front axle. Most SAS on here are using a Ford axle because of the transfer case drop. Which means either you convert a 5 lug to a 6 lug to match or save yourself the hassle and get an 8 lug front axle. And lets say you did put the 6 lug in for the time being, you have to get different wheels, swap tires over, convert the front to a 6 lug (unless you want to look odd) and will need a handful of odds and ends to make the swap work.