Better radio reception?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So my radio is finally really getting on my nerves. It picks up a good deal of static in many stations and you can barely hear music on others. I know its not the head unit because I pulled this HU out of my old truck and installed it straight into this one.

So is this a common thing? Is there some form of upgraded antenna or something? And yes the antenna is connected at the HU and in the fender. Its driving me nuts!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder if the antenna has corrosion in its connections. Every factory set up has been great for me.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Bad plugs or wires usually cause static that rises a falls with engine RPM. If that's the characteristics of your static, then change them out

Skylark's suggestion is more than likely the culprit.
You'll probably be better off replacing the antenna which usually comes with the wire to the radio.

scotttick

WHO ME?
Reaction score
I have the same problem. New headunit installed and replaced the antenna mast, neither helped. Thinking about running a new wire to the antenna.

Reaction score
Bad plugs or wires usually cause static that rises a falls with engine RPM. If that's the characteristics of your static, then change them out

Skylark's suggestion is more than likely the culprit.
You'll probably be better off replacing the antenna which usually comes with the wire to the radio.

I thought he was messing with me at first lol!

But thankfully that's not the issue. I pick up a few of my stations clear as day, but can't even tune into the local Rock station from Tampa. No whining, or RPM dependent static.

I'll have to take a look at the connections in the fender to the mast itself. When I was installing this HU, I also found that if I were to hold the connecter/adapter deal that comes out of the HU, that the antenna attaches to, I'd get all my stations. Let go of it, and back to where I am now... I know the body is an antenna, so I guess that would reinforce something not working properly with the truck's antenna?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Some aftermarket radios just have sh!te tuner sections. Clean up your connections and if that doesn't help, you'll likely have to live with it or start learning antenna theory...

Reaction score
Some aftermarket radios just have sh!te tuner sections. Clean up your connections and if that doesn't help, you'll likely have to live with it or start learning antenna theory...

Except I've already proven this radio not to. It was a christmas present 5 months ago, and I installed it in my F150. Never had the slightest bit of tuner issues. Both the old radio that came with this truck and my 3 month old Pioneer, when installed in the Chevy, struggle to clearly tune into many station.

Antenna theory might be in my future :Whoa:

Not a fan of lacking my radio stations! The iPod only has so much music on it lol

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Got a stock radio to test?

Try another/check your antenna adapter. I've seen two of those be defective right out of the box. Both times the insulation wasn't even stripped off before it was crimped into the connector.

Reaction score
I do not have a stock one to plug in unfortunately.

I'll definitely look into the adapter. And of course, when I sold my f150 I had an adapter in it. Left it in there figuring I wasn't gonna buy a Chevy... damn it lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk