Best way to replace cab corners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have rotted out cab corners on both sides of my '91 RCLB. I see that lmc has the replacement metal for pretty cheap. My question is what the best way to install them? I'm assuming welding them in is the way to go but am I gonna have to remove the bed to do that? I'd love to hear from anybody that's replaced their's on how they did it and any tips you might have.

Thanks
-Matt

fireball 440

Reaction score
I'd like to hear some input as well. I'll be doing mine this summer and want to know what I'm getting in to.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure a few people on this forum have done this especially if they live up north and will be able to chime in and let us know how it is

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I slid my bed back a few inches. Cut out the cancer, clean up the metal behind it and around where the patch goes and burn the new panels in. Its pretty simple and I dont think there is really any one easier way to do it.

-Matt

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I'm thinking I"m gonna have to pull the bed no matter what since I'd like to do some rustproofing of the frame might as well do it all at once. do you happen to know what the specs are on the bolts that tie the bed into the frame. I'm sure i'm gonna snap a bunch of them since we live in the rust belt.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are 8 bolts on a long bed if I can remember correctly. One set behind the cab, one just before the front of the rear tire ontop of the leaf hanger, just after that basically inside the cross member that sits over your spare, and finally wedged up near the bumper mounts/hitch that are a pain to get at. I ended up flipping the box over and welding nuts to some small pieces of plate and welding them into the channels on the underside of the bed so I could bolt the bed back on and my bed is off a 98 RCLB. Hopefully you have better luck than I did lol.

-Matt

jrp12357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good info. my cab corners are shot. i actually failed inspection at state with it and then paid to go through a garage lol. thats my end of summer project as well as new fenders too because of rust.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow if you failed inspection for cab corner rot in NYS more than half the gmt400's would be off the road. Matt, thanks for telling me where to hunt for those bolts. It'll definitely help me in pulling off my long bed and getting to work.