Best tran for a 454?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
OP if you're looking for a true 5-speed, where 5th is a 1 to 1 ratio, you're not going to find that for a fullsize Chevy.

Last edited:

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the original something or others that were made of carbon fiber are not available anymore and that brass are now used... and it will not shift the same after the rebuild. I wouldn't want my NV4500 "gone through" unless it was worn out. It also needs the fancy expensive lubricant.
The expensive stuff was just because of the special synchros wasn’t it? I’m not arguing, but I want to make sure I know what I thought I knew.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The expensive stuff was just because of the special synchros wasn’t it? I’m not arguing, but I want to make sure I know what I thought I knew.

I guess I should make it clear that I have no direct experience with the NV4500, but I believe you are correct.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
yea, the fancy stuff is for if it hasnt been rebuilt, once you put brass syncros in it you can run normal manual trans fluid

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
yea, the fancy stuff is for if it hasnt been rebuilt, once you put brass syncros in it you can run normal manual trans fluid

Yes, but the it shifts more like a dimp truck, correct? If brass shifted like carbon fiber, I suspect brass would have been oem.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It seems to me that if it makes that much of a difference that someone else would manufacture the carbon fiber rings. I have a NV3500 with bad synchros. Specifically 1st and reverse. Ballpark how much does it usually cost to get them all replaced?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It seems to me that if it makes that much of a difference that someone else would manufacture the carbon fiber rings. I have a NV3500 with bad synchros. Specifically 1st and reverse. Ballpark how much does it usually cost to get them all replaced?

Not if the demand doesn't out weigh the cost. The 4500 isn't used anymore so all demand is supporting existing units. Producing a special part for fewer and fewer units in service may not make sense financially.

DaBurner87

Reaction score
I really want to know how to make this truck faster. I realize being a C3500 its heavier than the 2500s and 1500s by a bit due to the extra weight it needs to handle both in the bed and towing. Perhaps this just isnt the truck for me after all, but I want to know my options. The 454 in this truck is solid, I plan to do a full tune up, and replace all common maintenance items and take it from there. I feel like this trans is holding it back as if it would be faster in automatic.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, 4L80e swap is best (only) option for OP for an auto. What axle ratio do you have?

The much later manual trucks are probably as good as it got as far as gearing. The 8.1/Duramax got a ZF-6 transmission. They only made limited numbers, it seems. But what I've read from guys that own them is they really like them.

How fast are you talking about here? It's a heavy truck meant for hauling/towing,...basically a work truck, not a racecar.