Best crate engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking to drop in a crate engine to replace my 1995 5.7 TBI. My original engine has 333,333 miles, doesn't knock, smoke or ping. But, I know it's just a matter of time before something goes.
I do tow a bit and would like a little more power.
I want a reliable drop in engine with no LS/ big block conversions.
JEGS and Summitt have way too many options to sort through. Any suggestion?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If your gona stay gen 1 small block and fuel injected I'd suggest a 355 of 383

mistaake

Reaction score
Honestly I'd say keep your existing engine until something goes wrong with it. Plenty of people with 500K+ on stock 350 TBI engines.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Honestly I'd say keep your existing engine until something goes wrong with it. Plenty of people with 500K+ on stock 350 TBI engines.
Plenty? Ehh some yes. But yah I agree why fix what isn't broken.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I'd probably just plop a Goodwrench replacement into it, if I needed to. Last I looked they were like 1,200.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Pick up a ZZ383 for that thing. They're made to go in these trucks.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with "don't fix it if it ain't broke". But, I would like to be prepared when something does break.
Also, I do believe in preventative maintenance, so replacing a an engine that has 3-400,000 miles isn't a really bad idea.

I do a lot of long trip driving, tow cars across several state and use my truck as a daily driver/work truck.
Looking for something as reliable as this 350 TBI has been. I've only been as deep as the water pump, only because I thought Ii smelled antifreeze.

JEGS and Summit have several different choices. Some have a difference in price of only a couple dollars.

Westcoast engines http://www.westcoastengines.com/#!chevy-350-engine/cu84
has a couple options.
My local GM dealer has an engine shop that does builds. I still need to stop by and talk to them...

I would like more power now and would like to feel a lot more comfortable towing through the mountains and not worry about having my motor let go on me..

mistaake

Reaction score
I agree with "don't fix it if it ain't broke". But, I would like to be prepared when something does break.
Also, I do believe in preventative maintenance, so replacing a an engine that has 3-400,000 miles isn't a really bad idea.

I do a lot of long trip driving, tow cars across several state and use my truck as a daily driver/work truck.
Looking for something as reliable as this 350 TBI has been. I've only been as deep as the water pump, only because I thought Ii smelled antifreeze.

JEGS and Summit have several different choices. Some have a difference in price of only a couple dollars.

Westcoast engines http://www.westcoastengines.com/#!chevy-350-engine/cu84
has a couple options.
My local GM dealer has an engine shop that does builds. I still need to stop by and talk to them...

I would like more power now and would like to feel a lot more comfortable towing through the mountains and not worry about having my motor let go on me..

When I had my burb I priced out engine replacements "just in case" just like you... I liked the West coast engines one with the roller cam because it's a lot more durable than the flat tappet cams in that you don't have to worry about it wearing out due to the lower amount of zddp in newer oils.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Having not enough power, I will consider broke.

The means of fixing that problem are by adding more power.

Continue on.