Best Coil For 1997 7.4L Vortec?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Except AC Delco now usually means cheap communist garbage in a Delco box. Delphi is often better quality but still a gamble.

My 80 C10 and 83 G20 both had those stickers.

There's a Delphi manufacturing plant about a mile from my work. Used to be known as Rochester Products... USA is still making GM parts for GM vehicles. That was, and is, my point.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
Going with the
Screamin’ Demon Coil & Vortec Dyna-Module! should get the job done.
Just wanted to replace the original coil with a good one.
These guys actually talk about the large gap plugs so let's see how it goes!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
Going with the
Screamin’ Demon Coil & Vortec Dyna-Module! should get the job done.
Just wanted to replace the original coil with a good one.
These guys actually talk about the large gap plugs so let's see how it goes!
I have a dyna mod and demon coil that are close to 8 years old back on my L31 based 383. MSD cap and rotor because it was the only brass terminal cap I could find and Taylor 8.8mm thundervolt wires. Actually tried a set of E3 plugs. 383 seems to like it all. Responsive as heck.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A high performance coil alone won't make an improvement, need a demand/mods for a more powerful coil to actually help. As with many things, it's just a new part to replace the old worn part that makes it seem better.

I don't like MSD coils, had a TFI msd coil fail in 40ish miles and it was not in a good place.

Coils were a popular upgrade for old in-cap HEI but often the higher demand w/o a dedicated ground would cause more problems.

There is a thing as coil tuning(different types/specs) but it's mostly trial and error track testing and not high gains. Course these days it's better to have a coil per cylinder.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going with a Black bear computer and also plugs, wires, cap and rotor.
I'm assuming the coil is original so just wanted to see what might be a good choice other than Delco stock one.
Decided on the Screamin’ Demon Coil & Vortec Dyna-Module.