Best adhesive to use ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What would be the best to mount this in my cluster, pretty sure it will be pinned behind the clear plastic but don't want to hit a bump and it drop or move, taking suggestions and the reason, just old piece of Luan board

Attachments

• IMG_20230719_195907967.jpg
    IMG_20230719_195907967.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 19

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3M VHB tape gets my vote too. Spray adhesives like super 77 or 90 would smear and get everywhere.
Definitely wasn't thinking about a spray, initial thought was a little brush and gorilla glue it a few places, I do think it would be trapped once covered but my luck lol

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the adhesive holding the left rear view mirror starting vibrating on the way to work. Crap, hmmm. Window down , sixty mph, touch mirror. Huh, loose ? I just touched the top of glass moved my hand back a little...and the glass mirror came loose, completely, and just laid in my hand at 60 mph down highway.
I was just amazed it didn't float out of my hand or frisbee away to crash into the highway.
Result cleaned the old adhesive of both base and mirror back. I chose to use the 3M two sided tape adhesive, the 30 lb super strong. I think they rate it 30 lb holding strength. The areas where the old glue attached best to glass is where I fit new tape.
I think for what you want to do you custom cut the strips and fit them , it would very strong but not such a permanent fix as would destroy the base material if you decide to change or modify. After using it for the mirror and it's been in service a year with no issues. It's something you could consider. Good luck!

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I highly recommend against using gorilla glue; it expands massively. It's great for cracked things and filling gaps, not great for keeping a tight profile.

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the adhesive holding the left rear view mirror starting vibrating on the way to work. Crap, hmmm. Window down , sixty mph, touch mirror. Huh, loose ? I just touched the top of glass moved my hand back a little...and the glass mirror came loose, completely, and just laid in my hand at 60 mph down highway.
I was just amazed it didn't float out of my hand or frisbee away to crash into the highway.
Result cleaned the old adhesive of both base and mirror back. I chose to use the 3M two sided tape adhesive, the 30 lb super strong. I think they rate it 30 lb holding strength. The areas where the old glue attached best to glass is where I fit new tape.
I think for what you want to do you custom cut the strips and fit them , it would very strong but not such a permanent fix as would destroy the base material if you decide to change or modify. After using it for the mirror and it's been in service a year with no issues. It's something you could consider. Good luck!
I've had good luck with it before, the 3-M tape, never tried to hold a mirror in place with it before, I think I'm going to do a burnt finish on one of these cluster surround, just playing around lol

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What would be the best to mount this in my cluster, pretty sure it will be pinned behind the clear plastic but don't want to hit a bump and it drop or move, taking suggestions and the reason, just old piece of Luan board
If the thickness of the adhesive is an issue, I would use a spray adhesive. Loctite is about 1/2 the price of 3M 77 and works pretty good. I used it for my headliner. Just spray the back of your panel and you shouldn't have a problem. If the thickness is not an issue, then double sided tape is probably the better way to go.