Battery corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My son's car (2014 Challenger Hemi) gets so much corrosion on the positive battery post connector it eats the bolt in half. This has happened twice in the past 4 months. Didn't happen at all the previous 2 years. Could it be the battery is getting overcharged ? Thanks for any advice.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be overchargeing but its pcm controlled so it shouldnt be doing that. But if battery is slightly leaking around the terminal it'll do that too. And id bet more likely on the battery

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WHat is the bolt made out of ? Whats the post like?
You must be registered for see images attach

https://gyazo.com/b1cc737b4e2981d4919c905d252fb69c

is it like this in the trunk? Those connectors are garbage. FCA trash. My grandma has a 17 jeep. Had an AGM. Thing got hot, real hot. Overheated and internally failed hot. No idea the cause, but the batteries from all research are top quality batteries, so probably all the rest of the trash like wiring and charging systems. Start stop in this challenger?

The only way it can be eating this bolt if its made of a metal is severe acid concentrations or we have a short causing the metal to be arc'ed to death and acid isnt helping,

What design battery is this?
IS it the original?
If its the original, is it still OK physically(No buldging, clean, tests good on a load test, has electroyte)
If its not original, is it the correct?
-Is it clean
-Is it the right group size
-Does it meet the same minimum specs for CCA, Reserve, CA, etc
-Is it of quality construction(Name the brand and i can tell you if its generally good or prone to defects)
-Are the connections tight-
-IS the battery clean
-Are the connections cleared fully of corrosion and sprayed with a protector each time
-is the vent tubing for the battery connected(Interior batteries will always be vented even if AGM because of the chance of off-gassing corrosive fumes, engine bay ones might have them depending on manufacture or proximity to air inlet of the car)
-Is the vent unobstructed

Was the battery neutralized on the outside when it happened before? They make a spray that changes colors otherwise baking soda works to neutralize battery acid(sulfuric acid)
is there evidence of the battery not being secure such as paint marks, scuffs, broken plastic around the battery, terminals bent, wiring smashed, etc. The battery needs to be secured... securely.

Was the clamp inspected for arcing where the bolt goes? Realize if the wrong bolt metal is used, and the clamp is the right material, you can very well be introducing two galvanicly incompatible metals to an electrolyte(the literal battery electrolyte or water intrusion as moisture in the trunk from leaks in seals, left open, or just damp and unable to dry. wouldnt surprise me if water was in. maybe a drain tube not inserted in grommet for battery vent.)

If you dont have a arcing, galvanic corrosion issue on the bolt, lets consider the possibility of other processes. Heat, corrosion. IS a cheap bolt that has chinese pot metal steel as its source being used? Well, a battery that gets too hot can evaporate the electrolyte. water. oxygen corrodes steel, cheap steel corrodes FAST. A small bolt would not last long to a moist or generally acidic and rusty environment. Hows the charging system? Too much juice? Battery gets hot. How are the connections, cables? resistance makes heat. resistance also decreases supplied power resistance increases demand. Battery fills demand. Voltage drop over distance, the need of a larger cable to the trunk is necessary. Check the positive cable for damage and resistance. Is it grounding out anywhere?

Maybe someone hooked up an aftermarket sound system and the iddiot used self-tappers to get always on-power. under the carpet. that gets wet. or into the sheet metal. which exposes it and cable to the outside, etc. Im not saying hes an idiot, we all know an idiot whod love to show us their skills so you never know. My gmas jeep likes to overcharge sometimes. electrical power steering is the cause in hers. FCA trash. Her car came with a large AGM battery for the increased electrical demand of start-stop, its a baad system and needs disabling if you have it. I got it disabled 2 years after she got it. It used it too much. Grand cherokee has 2 batteries for this, but cherokee doesnt.

Speaking of 2 batteries, you got an auxillary for a sound system? Dissimilar batteries, incorrect isolation, etc can do the same. HOw about using the car with no alternaotr for long periods? Using aftermarket lights? Radio? Discharged battery + High electrical load/input, will make ab attery hot and also likely gas. Maybe the battery is internally resistive because of sulfation, it cant thermally handle itself. Maybe it froze or was discharged more than a couple times from lights left on. Maybe plates are broke out of holders and slightly shorts inside, thats heat and will affect charging system.

Maybe you have an external crack like mentioned, a gasy battery with a crack around the post is a perfect place for water and electrolyte thats corrosive to metal to hit a bolt thats small and confined in a potentially improperly vented box near maybe an aftermarket exhaust that isnt routing the heat all the way back

Basically ,can you give us info on the battery and pics?

Read my essay, youll probably find a solution

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here is my 96 f150 battery posts. the original were rusting pretty bad and the PO was trying to hookup shoddy wiring(notice outdoor extension cord nearby, bright orange) and i wasnt having that nonsense. plus I had to baby it hom with a vice grip around positive post and a shirt around the vice grips. yeah.

This is temporary, i will be getting brass posts nicely attached to a brass or copper cables which will be high quality, routed nicely, and i will have a provision on the battery terminal to hook more things to if needed but will try and use a separate block for that

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The last chrysler product that I owned, my wife had to stop me from lighting it on fire. I should have lit that pos up before she got home...
i give them ONE compliment, as of late

their seats seem to be of high quality construction and dont wear so bad. cloth especially. compare a 2010 work truck chevy vs dodge or 2012 equinox vs 2012 journey

Not in anyway supporting them but the seats are damn good. but thats literally it, im out of positives

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WHat is the bolt made out of ? Whats the post like?

https://gyazo.com/b1cc737b4e2981d4919c905d252fb69c

is it like this in the trunk? Those connectors are garbage. FCA trash. My grandma has a 17 jeep. Had an AGM. Thing got hot, real hot. Overheated and internally failed hot. No idea the cause, but the batteries from all research are top quality batteries, so probably all the rest of the trash like wiring and charging systems. Start stop in this challenger?

The only way it can be eating this bolt if its made of a metal is severe acid concentrations or we have a short causing the metal to be arc'ed to death and acid isnt helping,

What design battery is this?
IS it the original?
If its the original, is it still OK physically(No buldging, clean, tests good on a load test, has electroyte)
If its not original, is it the correct?
-Is it clean
-Is it the right group size
-Does it meet the same minimum specs for CCA, Reserve, CA, etc
-Is it of quality construction(Name the brand and i can tell you if its generally good or prone to defects)
-Are the connections tight-
-IS the battery clean
-Are the connections cleared fully of corrosion and sprayed with a protector each time
-is the vent tubing for the battery connected(Interior batteries will always be vented even if AGM because of the chance of off-gassing corrosive fumes, engine bay ones might have them depending on manufacture or proximity to air inlet of the car)
-Is the vent unobstructed

Was the battery neutralized on the outside when it happened before? They make a spray that changes colors otherwise baking soda works to neutralize battery acid(sulfuric acid)
is there evidence of the battery not being secure such as paint marks, scuffs, broken plastic around the battery, terminals bent, wiring smashed, etc. The battery needs to be secured... securely.

Was the clamp inspected for arcing where the bolt goes? Realize if the wrong bolt metal is used, and the clamp is the right material, you can very well be introducing two galvanicly incompatible metals to an electrolyte(the literal battery electrolyte or water intrusion as moisture in the trunk from leaks in seals, left open, or just damp and unable to dry. wouldnt surprise me if water was in. maybe a drain tube not inserted in grommet for battery vent.)

If you dont have a arcing, galvanic corrosion issue on the bolt, lets consider the possibility of other processes. Heat, corrosion. IS a cheap bolt that has chinese pot metal steel as its source being used? Well, a battery that gets too hot can evaporate the electrolyte. water. oxygen corrodes steel, cheap steel corrodes FAST. A small bolt would not last long to a moist or generally acidic and rusty environment. Hows the charging system? Too much juice? Battery gets hot. How are the connections, cables? resistance makes heat. resistance also decreases supplied power resistance increases demand. Battery fills demand. Voltage drop over distance, the need of a larger cable to the trunk is necessary. Check the positive cable for damage and resistance. Is it grounding out anywhere?

Maybe someone hooked up an aftermarket sound system and the iddiot used self-tappers to get always on-power. under the carpet. that gets wet. or into the sheet metal. which exposes it and cable to the outside, etc. Im not saying hes an idiot, we all know an idiot whod love to show us their skills so you never know. My gmas jeep likes to overcharge sometimes. electrical power steering is the cause in hers. FCA trash. Her car came with a large AGM battery for the increased electrical demand of start-stop, its a baad system and needs disabling if you have it. I got it disabled 2 years after she got it. It used it too much. Grand cherokee has 2 batteries for this, but cherokee doesnt.

Speaking of 2 batteries, you got an auxillary for a sound system? Dissimilar batteries, incorrect isolation, etc can do the same. HOw about using the car with no alternaotr for long periods? Using aftermarket lights? Radio? Discharged battery + High electrical load/input, will make ab attery hot and also likely gas. Maybe the battery is internally resistive because of sulfation, it cant thermally handle itself. Maybe it froze or was discharged more than a couple times from lights left on. Maybe plates are broke out of holders and slightly shorts inside, thats heat and will affect charging system.

Maybe you have an external crack like mentioned, a gasy battery with a crack around the post is a perfect place for water and electrolyte thats corrosive to metal to hit a bolt thats small and confined in a potentially improperly vented box near maybe an aftermarket exhaust that isnt routing the heat all the way back

Basically ,can you give us info on the battery and pics?

Read my essay, youll probably find a solution

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bolt is just steel, probably original. Would a stainless bolt be a good replacement ? Thanks for all the advice. I'll check his car out the next time I see it. Thanks again.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
A stainless bolt shouldn't hurt anything.

Also agreeing with the above - the battery probably has a tiny leak around the terminal that's causing the corrosion. You can try giving it a spritz of some kind of battery terminal dielectric or those felt pads sometimes help (as a band-aid) if you're not wanting to buy a new battery yet. Just be sure to clean the terminal and post up the best you can first!