Battery corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A stainless bolt shouldn't hurt anything.

Also agreeing with the above - the battery probably has a tiny leak around the terminal that's causing the corrosion. You can try giving it a spritz of some kind of battery terminal dielectric or those felt pads sometimes help (as a band-aid) if you're not wanting to buy a new battery yet. Just be sure to clean the terminal and post up the best you can first!
I know it won't hurt anything but I wonder if it will help. Maybe not corrode at all or maybe take longer for it to fail.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bolt is just steel, probably original. Would a stainless bolt be a good replacement ? Thanks for all the advice. I'll check his car out the next time I see it. Thanks again.
Stainless is a bad conductor but if the bolt is only clamping and not serving any conductor role on your post (stud for example) you’re fine. Stainless will prob eventually get nasty but take longer.

I still vote brass, I mean you’re going to look for hardware you can buy brass hardware usually at the same store as stainless in plumbing I’d do the whole post but that’s me. If you do have an electrolyte leaking out slowly like possible, those pads are a good idea if anything just to slow or baffle whatever comes out. I’d perfectly clean the post, attach on a perfectly cleaned terminal, and get some spray coating to trap the connection so it has just another barrier to work through.
If you have an exploded battery laying around like I do you could neutralize the plastic on a portion, use gloves and take a piece of the shell, cut an opening the size of the post and make yourself an acid resistant skirt for the top. Would limit the amount of area to use, but it could be made thin.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stainless is a bad conductor but if the bolt is only clamping and not serving any conductor role on your post (stud for example) you’re fine. Stainless will prob eventually get nasty but take longer.

I still vote brass, I mean you’re going to look for hardware you can buy brass hardware usually at the same store as stainless in plumbing I’d do the whole post but that’s me. If you do have an electrolyte leaking out slowly like possible, those pads are a good idea if anything just to slow or baffle whatever comes out. I’d perfectly clean the post, attach on a perfectly cleaned terminal, and get some spray coating to trap the connection so it has just another barrier to work through.
If you have an exploded battery laying around like I do you could neutralize the plastic on a portion, use gloves and take a piece of the shell, cut an opening the size of the post and make yourself an acid resistant skirt for the top. Would limit the amount of area to use, but it could be made thin.