Basic Tbi 5.7 Build Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrfinchen1

Reaction score
I have a 1992 k1500 with a 5.7 350 Tbi. The only modifications I have down to the engine so far are shorty headers with true duals and Flowmaster mufflers. I'm wanting to add just a little bit more horsepower for around $800 - $1000 Im wanting to keep the bottom end stock and keep the tbi but want to modify or slightly upgrade if possible? Im aware the heads on these are awful and I was thinking different heads and a mild cam swap. Where is a good place to start? and what Tbi mods are there? anything helps. Thanks

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im aware the heads on these are awful and I was thinking different heads and a mild cam swap. Where is a good place to start? and what Tbi mods are there?
There are things you can do but, they'll cost a little more than $1000. These heads are for your TBI intake bolt pattern. They flow better than Vortec heads for a few bucks more.

If you can afford it, you should switch to a roller cam. If your block has the bosses for the spyder and cam plate you can get in pretty cheap but, if they aren't, a conversion kit with ty-bar lifters is another, more expensive option. Otherwise go with a flat tappet cam. You can call your favorite cam company and ask them what they'd recommend.

Then you'll want an AFPR and a bigger spring for your TB, so you can tune your fuel and spark tables for better performance and MPGs. Getting a bored out TB can get you more air flow so it can support higher RPMs. HTH :waytogo:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best place to start is by connecting a scan tool, a fuel pressure tester, and a compression tester to the vehicle.

Make sure all the "stock" horsies are still there.

You'll waste a lot of money adding "Hot-Rod" parts to the vehicle if you have low fuel pressure, worn valves/rings, or marginal sensors/outputs.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure everything that's already on there is good, give it a good tune up. Then start here

Also replacing the flowmasters with a good performance muffler would help, and so would some kind of crossover like an H pipe. You can gain noticeable power from balancing out the exhaust. Muffler technology has come a long way and there's no reason for something that restrictive. Borla is always my recommendation but I know they're pricey.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ Personally I would advise against using Harris Performance/Tuning/TBIChips for anything. We've seen other members post first hand evidence that their tunes aren't great... There are people on the Gearhead EFI forums who can provide a much better result.